330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Geelong has lost

FORD Motor Company

SHELL Refinery

ALCOA Smelter

ALCOA Power Station

For those that dont know Geelong the list above is a list of the Primary Heavy industry that generations of this town have worked at. These industries have supported multiple generations of the same families. Ford for Life. ALCOA For Life. Shell For Life. once you get a job in one of these you work to retirement. School Leavers aimed for the recruitment programs of these companies, the smartest went to Shell.

This is a Very big deal for Geelong. a number of other large firms are here Because of these industries. Pilkington Glass supply Ford and will be under some pressure now also.

Package this in with the rest of the State with the likes of Holden and SPC and Victoria is in BIG TROUBLE and without a miracle investment Geelong is in the Toilet.

No Doubt the long termers at the above plants will get exceptional redundancy packages. Many of the Over 50s may never be employed again though!

This will lead to some very worrying times economically in Geelong, in my work i note that there is not allot of money in Geelong and my business does not do big business here as a result. Not much New money. Property prices will flat line or retract (Likely) and it will be a very hard slog in this little town (read City!)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And so its official. Shell Site in Geelong has been sold and the buyer will CLOSE the Site to make Australia more dependant on its Middle East Oil Supply Network

.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/shell-sells-local-assets-for-24bn-report
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    And so its official. Shell Site in Geelong has been sold and the buyer will CLOSE the Site to make Australia more dependant on its Middle East Oil Supply Network

.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/shell-sells-local-assets-for-24bn-report
    I'm never quite sure why that behaviour isn't considered anti-competitive......

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came over radio that shells new owners will keep plant open, I hope it's true

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (21st February 2014), MudRunnerTD (21st February 2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234