Thread: Problem with GQ auto

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with GQ auto

Hi all, my 1993 GQ has been running well since I bought it last year. We use it for towing a trailer mainly. Today after a 2 hour trip with a lightly loaded trailer I was going up a long hill and it seemed to be changing gear alot. Then at the top of the hill I noticed a smell and the auto seemed to be slipping. I stopped and checked the oil level and it looked ok. By the time I got home, and stopped to open the gate the vehicle wouldn't move in any gear. I left it for 10 minutes and was then able to drive up the drive but it started to slip again after I turned around. Once it cooled I checked the oil which was flushed and change at 165,000 km and it looked clear but had some slight dark streaks in it. I can smell much but was told it smelt citrisy (oranges)
    Any ideas what could be wrong? The Safari has done about 171,000 km.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by asdex; 3rd February 2014 at 06:11 AM.
    1993 Nissan Safari Grandroad, 24 volt, high roof, 4.2 diesel, non turbo, rebuilt automatic. Dodgy oil pressure gauge, door inners coming off, otherwise great condition 176,000km.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Asdex,

Will never be able to tell exactly what went wrong unless be able to have look at but by the sound of it your clutches are probably gone but I could be wrong too, hopefully.

Mine is also a jdm safari and it took me years to get to know how a good auto patrol should behave. The last time I had my auto rebuild was when my 4th and 2nd gears are gone. When the shop stripped it down they found out my brake band and clutch packs are almost all gone. Without a temperature gauge for the atf you will never be able to know the condition of your auto. The factory atf temperature warning light will only tell you that you box is overheating when the atf reaches 150c in the sump and that is way too late. Earlier model auto patrol also came with smaller t/converter which are prone to overheating.

Ade

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rung the auto repairs and they say it sounds like the seals have gone so when the oil is hot it leaks out and looses pressure. No oil leaks under so they will be internal seals I expect.
    1993 Nissan Safari Grandroad, 24 volt, high roof, 4.2 diesel, non turbo, rebuilt automatic. Dodgy oil pressure gauge, door inners coming off, otherwise great condition 176,000km.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hopefully its just a kit they can put through it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes just a seal kit would be a nice surprise.
    When I was in Melbourne a few months ago I looked into the temperature sensor and gauge Wholesale Automatic Transmissions were selling but they were very expensive due I expect to using a VDO gauge. Over AU$250 from memory. Might have another think about one now.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday
    I agree with above it sounds more like your clutch packs a good way to tell is if there is a lag or small jolt when gears are shifted.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All, clutch plates burnt. The garage thinks there may have been a solenoid problem that caused the gearbox to do the wrong thing and burn the plates. Then the fine filter has become blocked and caused the slipping. I had a look inside the box. $4000 will fix it up and includes a large oil cooler. The say if you use the existing radiator cooler any debris in it could reblock the filter again. Makes sense.
    Cheers,