Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Hence why most car manufactures have already moved over 2 electric fans *L*
    These fans are probably like smart alternators. Helping with fuel efficiency figures. They wouldn't fit them if they didn't work. For us mud and water could be an issue.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ally radiators are nice to look at but the cheap ones don't do their job very well, apart from not being serviceable they also creat excessive electrolysis in the cooling system where you need to do a bit of mucking around to extend the life of the cooling system components. I would recommend a brass copper 3 core radiator everyday of the week and so would my radiator bloke !

Thermo fans are tricky, as said before without a cowling they generally are useless only cooling a small portion of the core. Try stick to quality components Like the Davis Craig thermo fans which have great airflow capacities for eg the 16" flows 2200 cfm/min and the 12" 800 cfm/min or even the thermo from an FG Falcon which has a high and low and is rather large in diameter. The controller is where you would find most of your problems, the most common is the Davis Craig one the fits under the top radiator hose with an analog dial you set to your desired temp which tends to leak because of it design.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alitis007 For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (2nd February 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Hence why most car manufactures have already moved over 2 electric fans *L*
    Look at the heavy vehicle world. Only thermo in sight is on the a/c condensor.

Just checked out 200 series, they still run engine fan it would seem, there must be a reason they have not gone to thermos.

Thermos are probably also cheaper to manufacture.
    Last edited by Dales300exc; 2nd February 2014 at 11:08 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dales300exc For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (2nd February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    Ally radiators are nice to look at but the cheap ones don't do their job very well, apart from not being serviceable they also creat excessive electrolysis in the cooling system where you need to do a bit of mucking around to extend the life of the cooling system components. I would recommend a brass copper 3 core radiator everyday of the week and so would my radiator bloke !

Thermo fans are tricky, as said before without a cowling they generally are useless only cooling a small portion of the core. Try stick to quality components Like the Davis Craig thermo fans which have great airflow capacities for eg the 16" flows 2200 cfm/min and the 12" 800 cfm/min or even the thermo from an FG Falcon which has a high and low and is rather large in diameter. The controller is where you would find most of your problems, the most common is the Davis Craig one the fits under the top radiator hose with an analog dial you set to your desired temp which tends to leak because of it design.
    WhAt about the fAct that a lot of cars from the factory in the last 20 years come with aluminium core? I know my old 99 GQ has one from factory and it still had it in it when I sold it with now issues, not bad for 14years. My 04 GU also had one it from factory and with no issues after 10 years, the only thing being it was externally blocked a little. I still have it should any go wrong with my adrad unit as it works fine.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 2nd February 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    These fans are probably like smart alternators. Helping with fuel efficiency figures. They wouldn't fit them if they didn't work. For us mud and water could be an issue.
    This is pretty much why. Thermos are quiter and the only real time you need the fan is at very low speeds, as I said earlier once you are at speed then no fan can pull anywhere near as much air. So a lot go to thermos for fuel efficiency reasons, space and sound.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (2nd February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    WhAt about the fAct that a lot of cars from the factory in the last 20 years come with aluminium core? I know my old 99 GQ has one from factory and it still had it in it when I sold it with now issues, not bad for 14years. My 04 GU also had one it from factory and with no issues after 10 years, the only thing being it was externally blocked a little. I still have it should any go wrong with my adrad unit as it works fine.
    The fact of the matter is those radiators have plastic tanks, the combination of ally tanks with ally core is the problem. The difference in your situation is your motors had cast iron heads and not aluminium heads so the 33% ra rating of your coolant ( assuming its a concentrated mix of 980ml/l ethylene glycol for cast iron blocks ) may have had enough alkalinity to neutralize the electrolysis.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The fact of the matter is those radiators have plastic tanks, the combination of ally tanks with ally core is the problem. The difference in your situation is your motors had cast iron heads and not aluminium heads so the 33% ra rating of your coolant ( assuming its a concentrated mix of 980ml/l ethylene glycol for cast iron blocks ) may have had enough alkalinity to neutralize the electrolysis.
    There is no problem. If done correctly there is still no
    Issue. If people against using ally would throw more facts instead of scaring people then it wouldnt be so bad. 99% of the time the factory radiator is more than enough. I don't know why ally is so scary.

The full ally rad in mine now has no issues with electrolysis, I check it regularly running a 50/50 mix. How many diesel patrols have alloy heads?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The controller is where you would find most of your problems, the most common is the Davis Craig one the fits under the top radiator hose with an analog dial you set to your desired temp which tends to leak because of it design.
    Would have to disagree George, sounds like some people are tight asses and not installing them correctly. I have what I believe 2 be what you refer to as an analog dial and they are NOT designed 2 be places under the house.

This is the correct fittings 2 be used with the controller which is also sold from Davis Craig

020220141058.jpg 020220141057.jpg

This is pretty much why. Thermos are quiter and the only real time you need the fan is at very low speeds, as I said earlier once you are at speed then no fan can pull anywhere near as much air. So a lot go to thermos for fuel efficiency reasons, space and sound.
    Totally agree with your comment Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dales300exc View Post
    Look at the heavy vehicle world. Only thermo in sight is on the a/c condensor.

Just checked out 200 series, they still run engine fan it would seem, there must be a reason they have not gone to thermos.

Thermos are probably also cheaper to manufacture.
    Would not know if they are cheaper or not 2 manufacture, maybe they are just scared of change
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 2nd February 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no problem. If done correctly there is still no
    Issue. If people against using ally would throw more facts instead of scaring people then it wouldnt be so bad. 99% of the time the factory radiator is more than enough. I don't know why ally is so scary.

The full ally rad in mine now has no issues with electrolysis, I check it regularly running a 50/50 mix. How many diesel patrols have alloy heads?
    Heres a water pump from a vt commodore with a v6 Ecotec cast iron heads and factory ally rad ImageUploadedByMotorculture1391312191.963509.jpg need more proof ??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a water pump from a vt commodore with a v6 Ecotec cast iron heads and factory ally rad, need more proof ??
    I do

Couldn't that be caused by no coolant or incorrect coolant?
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast