Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What modifications have you done to your 4X4

G/day All

I have started this thread so we can share ideas among ourselves & find out about those do's & dont's That only experience can teach us.

Pleas include Pics wherever possible & don't leave out any details.

Cheers
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to start?
    From this...

To this...

And ended up with this...

Suspension; Snake racing mega lift springs with Tough dog shocks. Got these second hand off a Patrol in Bundaberg (a 4WD action cover car). This is the 3rd Patrol I've had them in.
    Superior engineering panhards, comp spec drag link, and drop boxes. In my previous 2 Patrols I used 2Dextreme drop arms, I changed to drop boxes so I could run sway bars. Speaking of sway bars, I cut my original sway bar link pins and welded in 125mm of 12mm round steel bar to extend them. Total cost to do all 4 links $6.

I also made my own brake bias extension bracket.
    Rear lower control arms are 4H plus 16mm arms.
    Future plans for suspension; drop it down to about 50 to 75mm lift, it looks very high, especially with the road wheels on. It doesn't need to be that high to run 33's, and I don't want to be defected.
    Fit super flex arms with matching springs and shocks. Remove drop boxes. I want to get my barwork done before I drop it down.

Front locker is an ARB air locker. Got this second hand, has also been fitted to my 2 previous Patrols. Front auto hubs were replaced with Nissan manual hubs.

Rear locker is a TJM pro locker. I chose the TJM over the ARB because they don't have the problems with leaking O-rings allowing diff oil back up the air line. My compressor is in the cabin, and I don't want to smell diff oil while I'm driving.
    Future plans; I would like to change the rear locker to a detroit, more of a point and shoot locker, you don't need to think about engaging it. I'm also in the process of building a high pinion rear diff.

Wheels and tyres; on road, factory alloys with standard size Maxxix road tyres. Off road, 16x8 ROH silver sunraisiers with 285/75r16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's.

Engine mods; Beaudesert 2 3/4" exhaust with muffler, provent 200 catch can (soon to be plumbed to automatically drain back to sump), dawes and needle valves to contol boost (set to 16psi max at the moment), VDO boost and pyro gauges mounted in a custom panel under radio.

Future plans for engine; I'm still having trouble with excessive EGT's on long hills and over taking (while towing an over loaded camper trailer), so I'm going to try a new MAF sensor, will look into better intercooling after that. As a short term fix I have an idea to raise the bonnet scoop up about 25mm, and fit a water spray.

Other plans, interior; making my own roof console so I can finally fit my GME UHF.Fitting LED's to improve lighting. Replace window tint on front windows, it's too dark and hard to see out of at night.

Exterior; Steel bullbar and fit my winch, cabin mounted switch to operate winch. Thinking of buying a second hand bull bar and putting a few custom touches on it. Sliders and steel rear bar with wheel carrier. I need to get the spare wheel off the back door, as door is already cracked. Upgrade spot light (Hella rallye 2000) bulbs from 100w halogen to 100w HID. Fit rock lights and reversing light.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 27th June 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work on the 12mm round bar extension.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DX grunt. See signature for details.

For circle work, I lower the back tyres, put it on full lock, and….. Yee Haaaaa. LOL….. just kidding !

I can fit lotsa ‘supplies’ in here. Even a double mattress!
    Last edited by DX grunt; 28th June 2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: More pics
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the posts guys some nice work going on there, but I would have thought this thread would go off like a cracker so come on ppl lets see some more of your proud workmanship.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, Where do i start....... Ill Let the pics do the talking, more imformation on my build up thread

Hmm, Where do i start.......
    ere are some of the other DIY bits and pieces i have been doing
    Light mount MK1

New Lenses That now have H4 Hi/Lo HID's 55w 6000K

Fully Sick Roof lights....lol

Codan Mount MK 1

Re-poedercoated Bull Bar in the exact colour of the New ARB Bars

P-Plate PatrollerCheck it out here.....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...?169-Matt-s-GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battery Gauges

Mission Control
    Roof light Switches

Also Now got my phone passive cradle in that woks surpassingly well!

Mounted my Hid ballast better, Up Higher than it was.

My Main Battery died on friday night, so got a new Calcium battery from work yesterday. Rewired my second battery fuse box, better than before now.

P-Plate PatrollerCheck it out here.....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...?169-Matt-s-GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wired up an Anderson plug onto the grill, Im getting a new Ctek charger so i can just stick it on each night to keep the fridge running without my second battery flat

Codan Mount MK II
    Well got bored on the long weekend so i decided to re-do my codan mount.
    Previously as can be seen in pics it was mounted to the spare wheel and very exposed.
    Now i have used 25x25mm RHS to make a frame that using extended bots mounts to the existing bracket and also spaces the wheel out. It also has bracing for extra support.
    All i have to do now is remount my work light and ill be done. It still sits low enough to fit into car-parks and such.

Finally got around to tinting my windows.
    It wasn't to harder job either.
    So from the B pillar back its all 5% limo very dark smoke tint.
    All up cost about $60

Cheers Matt

Cold ari Intake

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is a run down of the roof console that i have just built to house my Mac Mini, touchscreen and UHF....Enjoy

For the TV tuner

Just need to tidy up that edge by the driver's A pillar, the fabric pulled a bit when i mounted it and i also have a LED light to go on.

Cheers Matt

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top job Matt thanks for the great post.

Keep them coming ppl this is a good time of year to be out in the shed doing those mods you were thinking about last summer & this thread is a great way to give & get some great ideas on how to go about them & maybe give you an idea or 2 on some new ones as well.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by patch697; 30th June 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast