Thread: Tire Deflation Method

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Deflation Method

I have always just used a stick or key in the past which has been quick and easy. 1 minute as a rule of thumb from road pressure, I normally run 34-36psi and this normally puts me around 18-20psi. The downside of this method is it runs the risk of over deflating the tire from the desired pressure.

I recently purchased a tire deflator from ARB and it was so slow (5 min per tire). After the first tire I reverted back to my previous method and just checked the pressure once they were deflated. Is there something wrong with my tire deflator or is it normal for them to be this slow?

I'm interested in how others deflate there tires i.e. stick into valve, tire deflator, pre-set pressure deflators?
    Dennis

Its not about going fast. Its about going somewhere

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be something nit right with yours.
    I'm about a min per Tyre with my rapid deflator.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d.n.blewitt View Post
    I have always just used a stick or key in the past which has been quick and easy. 1 minute as a rule of thumb from road pressure, I normally run 34-36psi and this normally puts me around 18-20psi. The downside of this method is it runs the risk of over deflating the tire from the desired pressure.

I recently purchased a tire deflator from ARB and it was so slow (5 min per tire). After the first tire I reverted back to my previous method and just checked the pressure once they were deflated. Is there something wrong with my tire deflator or is it normal for them to be this slow?

I'm interested in how others deflate there tires i.e. stick into valve, tire deflator, pre-set pressure deflators?
    No thats not right, i assume you did not fully undo the valve mate. Try it again and keep spinning until the valve comes out when you pull the pin out, you will notice a massive difference. I'd be thinking Operator error bud, sorry.

IMO the ARB EZ Deflator is The Best thing out there for ease of use and rapid deflation. The gauge is a winner too.

Here is the logic for how efficient it is. You are depressing the valve to let air out with a stick or key but the restriction is the size of the valve in the hole and the stick. The EZdeflator simply removes the valve so its like the tyres shops do, rapid, no restriction. Not sure it could be done faster without slashing the tyre.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

P4trol (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    No thats not right, i assume you did not fully undo the valve mate. Try it again and keep spinning until the valve comes out when you pull the pin out, you will notice a massive difference. I'd be thinking Operator error bud, sorry.

IMO the ARB EZ Deflator is The Best thing out there for ease of use and rapid deflation. The gauge is a winner too.

Here is the logic for how efficient it is. You are depressing the valve to let air out with a stick or key but the restriction is the size of the valve in the hole and the stick. The EZdeflator simply removes the valve so its like the tyres shops do, rapid, no restriction. Not sure it could be done faster without slashing the tyre.
    Ferrets is quicker, but no gauge so again your guessing if you loose count..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Woof (21st January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I use Staun deflators set at 16 psi by the time I screw
    the last on the first one is deflated to the correct pressure.

.I think the Ferret deflators work by removing the valve as well
    Last edited by threedogs; 20th January 2014 at 05:13 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Yep, my Ferret is great, I count to 12 (one thousand, two thousand etc) for a drop of 10 psi (285/70/17s (33s)).

As mentioned above operator error on the ARB jobbie. As SWMBO says, stop being a man and read the instructions
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Not by much, I used to use the Ferret and now use an Ironman deflator which is identical to the ARB one but is green (and was $5 less)
    Yeah I'd say you're not using it right or it's stuffed!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a good Video of the Deflator and how it works.

I have to say John IMO the Stauns are the biggest piece of Junk on the market mate, just rubbish! forever require rechecking and resetting and soooo mush slower than the EZdeflator.

I have no doubt the Ferret item is top notch, sorry ferret i have never had one mate but for ease of use and convenience of the gauge the EZ wins for me.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I have to say John IMO the Stauns are the biggest piece of Junk on the market mate, just rubbish! forever require rechecking and resetting and soooo mush slower than the EZdeflator.

I have no doubt the Ferret item is top notch, sorry ferret i have never had one mate but for ease of use and convenience of the gauge the EZ wins for me.
    A mate uses the Staun ones and he says the same thing Darren.
    And the gauge is the reason I changed from the Ferret.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ MR I've never had an issue with them yet, when the do play up no doubt I'll switch to something else.
    but if it aint broke,,,,,,,,,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast