Thread: Aggressive all terain tyres?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aggressive all terain tyres?

Noticed in recent 4 X 4 mags that tyre comparisons resulted in above type of tyre being the winner over highway treads (of course), AT's and muddies.

Is it a coincidence that Cooper and Mickey Ts both recently released this type of tyre or are they that good?

Would like to hear from any one who has used them so I can make an informed decision on new tyres to go walk about for a few months in the Kimberleys next year.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    mickey t 4 rib would be ideal for the Kimberleys, it is a LT in an AT pattern
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    mickey t 4 rib would be ideal for the Kimberleys, it is a LT in an AT pattern
    Or the new ATZ P3 tyre too.
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.a...hp?page=ATZ-P3

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Coopers and MT have always had an aggressive AT type tyre.

MT have always done a 4 rib and a 5 rib AT tyre (4 rib being more aggressive than the 5 rib) and have now released the new one in the link above.

Coopers ST have a very aggressive pattern for an AT also, good tread depth and sharp edges but i would not urinate on the brand!

A good quality LT All Terrain will be the perfect touring tyre IMO for all but the muddiest places or the Wet Season up North.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got the P3's which are replacing the 4 rib range. They are slightly more aggressive than the original 4 ribs, which brings them closer to muddies without actually being classed as a mud terrain tire. I've had the 4 ribs on my navara prior to the patrol. And can say P3's are much quieter on-road, and a very capable tire off-road. Extremely happy with them.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I've got the P3's which are replacing the 4 rib range. They are slightly more aggressive than the original 4 ribs, which brings them closer to muddies without actually being classed as a mud terrain tire. I've had the 4 ribs on my navara prior to the patrol. And can say P3's are much quieter on-road, and a very capable tire off-road. Extremely happy with them.
    On the MT website they have delisted the 5 rib AT but the 4 rib is still there. Maybe the 4 rib is the new 5 rib, and the P3 is the new 4 rib?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    On the MT website they have delisted the 5 rib AT but the 4 rib is still there. Maybe the 4 rib is the new 5 rib, and the P3 is the new 4 rib?
    and the TB is the new TD........................ Waaaiiit a Minute!!! Thats not right??

What he said mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Well when I went in to buy the tyres, I went in to actually buy the 4 ribs, I never even thought about the P3's. But they had trouble ordering me a 5th due to no more arriving in australia. And I had a mate recently try and get a set too and they couldn't get any at all, all they had was the 5 ribs and the P3's.
    But I could have been informed wrong.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And further to my comment above.
    Just spoke to my mate and he was told that the 5 ribs were replaced with STZ's, and 4 ribs are being phased out slowly bringing in the P3's. 4 ribs can be obtained at some places, but if you have a set and bust one completely later on, you may have issues obtaining another a replacement as time goes on.
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think it is a big coincidence that these "aggressive AT's" won the comparison just after they were released.

Seems Mickey Ts the better choice as I saw a wagon on the barge to Fraser last year who had Coopers ( AT's I think) and were about stuffed after 15,000klm on dirt roads in north of WA
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard