Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone Alert for Perth

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclone Alert for Perth

A TROPICAL cyclone which has been menacing North-West communities this week is expected to bring wild weather to Perth and the South-West by Sunday.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a cyclone watch for coastal areas from Jurien Bay to Albany as the category three storm continues to track south.

"On Saturday, Bianca will move in a southeasterly direction towards the southwest corner of the state while weakening steadily," the bureau says.

"However, there is a significant risk that Bianca will maintain tropical cyclone intensity as it approaches the coast early on Sunday.

"If this scenario eventuates, coastal areas between Jurien Bay and Albany could experience damaging winds with gusts to 120km/h.

"On Sunday, tides between Jurien Bay and Cape Naturaliste are likely to rise signficantly above the normal high tide mark with very rough seas, dangerous surf and flooding of low lying coastal areas.

EXMOUTH and the Pilbara region have been given the all clear this morning as tropical cyclone Bianca moves away from the WA coast. The cyclone has forced the suspension of oil and gas production and port facilities in the region, and more than 50 Exmouth residents were relocated to Exmouth Shire Hall overnight..

FESA State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers were on standby to help local communities, but there was no major damage reported to homes or other infrastructure due to the community being well prepared.

At 6.15am a high-level red alert put in place at 3.30am for communities in or near Exmouth was revised to an all clear as the cyclone headed out to sea.

All roads closed by the cyclone have been reopened.

At 5am the Bureau of Meteorology advised that Severe Tropical Cyclone Bianca was estimated to be 325 kilometres west of Exmouth and 300 kilometres west-northwest of Coral Bay.

It was moving southwest at 30 km/h.

Bianca is expected to continue to move in a southwest direction away from the coast and damaging winds are no longer expected.

Strong and gusty winds are still possible between Cape Preston and Carnarvon, though these will ease during the day.
    1984 MK Anniversary Model, LWB,SD33,Air-Con,P/S,Straight Body,Minimal Rust.........Not Bad For Free

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (28th January 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (28th January 2011), patch697 (28th January 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody glad to here your all ok Chops & I hope none of our other members are in harms way.

My thoughts are with all who are.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    May have to start battening down the hatches, forecast to hit Bunbury which is just down the road from here.
    Last edited by Woof; 28th January 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    May have to start battening down the hatches, forecast to hit Bunbury which is just down the road from here.
    Aren't u moving Wayne, let the wind be your friend, it will help u move all your belongings quickly!

Only joking mate, hope it stays well away from all
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    My Uncle lives there Doggy, can you keep me updated please.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah all good here, tying stuff down with truck straps is pretty solid. The wind was pretty wild, but I get off on stuff like that, love the wild storms with wind, rain, thunder and lightening. To be honest, it wasn't really that bad a cyclone. If it came closer to the coast, then yes it would of been pretty bad. Having lived here through Cyclone Vance in 1999, now that was wild. Having rain pouring through the gaps around windows and the front door, watching the front door bow with the pressure was different. The wind was officially 267kms/h, although unofficially people reported some weather gear blew out at 300kms/h.

Personally I think the people of Perth having bugger all to worry about. If you live around Geraldton or Jurien Bay area, that may be a different story. I was surprised to see with the latest report at 3pm today, the cyclone had intensified slightly.

As usual, the media is blowing this out of proportion.
    1984 MK Anniversary Model, LWB,SD33,Air-Con,P/S,Straight Body,Minimal Rust.........Not Bad For Free

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    My Uncle lives there Doggy, can you keep me updated please.
    No worries Pauly will do, they just issued a state wide fire warning due to the chance of strong winds.
    Here is that latest warning.
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    Western Australia

PRIORITY
    Coastal Waters Wind Warning
    For Mandurah to Walpole.
    Issued at 4:05 pm WST on Friday 28 January 2011

Synoptic situation
    TC Bianca will lie to the west of Geraldton, and combine with a ridge of high
    pressure to the south of the State.

Strong Wind Warning
    Mandurah to Cape Leeuwin
    E/SE'ly winds strengthening to 20/30 knots during Saturday afternoon and
    evening. Seas to 2.0m. Swell to 1.5m.

Strong Wind Warning
    Cape Leeuwin to Walpole
    S/SE'ly winds strengthening to 20/30 knots during Saturday afternoon and
    evening. Seas to 2.5m. Swell to 1.5m.

The next warning will be issued by 11:00 pm WST Friday.

Please be aware
    Wind gusts can be a further 40 percent stronger than the averages given here,
    and maximum waves may be up to twice the height.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just found this, personally I think it may end up a "storm in a teacup", well hopefully.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (28th January 2011), Maxhead (28th January 2011), patch697 (28th January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclones need warm water to fuel their fury. Since this cyclone is still nearly 1000kms away from Perth, its impossible yet to say where it will go. Its also moving extremely fast for a cyclone, which makes it even more unpredictable.

Some very interesting reading.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/histor...tml#historical

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:

patch697 (28th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been keeping an I on the old warnings myself, hope nothing comes of it, been too much crazy going ons lately, what with floods, fires and stuff. Also supposed to be going out for some 4wd'n fun on Sunday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast