Thread: All Things Chev

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian, I actually found my air box leaked when playing in the mud. The leak was the riveted bottom edges too so I siliconed them all up. I was missing the rubber curtain (spray deflector, or whatever it is called) on the inside of my wheel arch on the passengers side and the bottom of the air box must have been copping a lot of water spray.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have that problem Ben, noticed it a few times when I go to clean the filter and the inside of the box has water/mud spray on the inside of the box. Maybe its time to replace that rubber. Not convinced that the airbox/filter setup allows the maximum airflow through the traditional snorkel, might have to get a 4in pipe jobby made for it.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, have pondered the larger snorkel myself. I don't know if it would make a difference or not though.

I fitted up a new piece of rubber in the wheel arch and no longer have a filthy engine bay all the time. Actually think that the water was being thrown up onto the thermo fan and then flung around everywhere. Much better now.

My main issue at the moment is still the temperature that the aux battery is getting to (48-49 degrees when touring and off-road). I am considering some custom exhaust mods and have been in touch with both Scotts Rods and Taipan about it. Both recommend a 3.5" mandrel bent setup, and Taipan were keen to ceramic coat it to assist with temps. At the end of the day though, I am probably better off moving the aux battery somewhere else and still need to give more thought to this.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I owe BenK an apology in regard to our discussions about 4L80/4L85 conversions.
    With my left foot getting more gammy every day trying to dance that godawful clutch is getting darn painful.
    Soooo... I rang up and got a firm quote for the conversion.

It appears that Brunnies do a fair bit "over and above" a "simple" conversion with extras like twin tranny coolers with eleccy fans etc etc. and the drive shafts do need reworking and balancing (unfortunately)

By the time I had totalled up what Brunswicks included then the wrong side of 10 grand gets there pretty quickly if you aren't doing any of it yourself. With a dud left peg it looks like the bank manager is gunna be a tad pissed at me sooner rather than later...

So, onya BenK, your numbers were waaay closer than mine. I shouldn't have doubted that or relied on the bloody Internet. Prick of a thing was wrong yet again
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (16th March 2014), Gecko17 (15th March 2014), Stropp (14th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    With my left foot getting more gammy every day trying to dance that godawful clutch is getting darn painful.

It appears that Brunnies do a fair bit "over and above" a "simple" conversion with extras like twin tranny coolers with eleccy fans etc etc. and the drive shafts do need reworking and balancing (unfortunately)

By the time I had totalled up what Brunswicks included then the wrong side of 10 grand gets there pretty quickly if you aren't doing any of it yourself. With a dud left peg it looks like the bank manager is gunna be a tad pissed at me sooner rather than later...

So, onya BenK, your numbers were waaay closer than mine. I shouldn't have doubted that or relied on the bloody Internet. Prick of a thing was wrong yet again

If you are in WA, near Perth, ET and want to see how the 4L80E goes, you are welcome to try mine.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko17 View Post
    If you are in WA, near Perth, ET and want to see how the 4L80E goes, you are welcome to try mine.
    Wow, thanks dude... I hope it goes gangbusters 'cause I have already pulled the trigger and a brand new crate 4L85e is going in.

Soooo, even tho it's to late and I am committed anyway, how do you like yours... and was it a manual before the auto conversion or have you only driven it with an auto?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (22nd March 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No dramas at all, and no apology needed. I am very keen to see what you think of it though. Have been distracted lately and haven't had much time to play with the idea any further, but it is still there in the back of my mind as something that I might need to do. Same with a chop and a custom pod....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks dude... I hope it goes gangbusters 'cause I have already pulled the trigger and a brand new crate 4L85e is going in.

Soooo, even tho it's to late and I am committed anyway, how do you like yours... and was it a manual before the auto conversion or have you only driven it with an auto?
    I bought the patrol, already converted with the 6.5l Brunswick, and it had a manual gearbox. When you took off, you were lucky if you got 20m before you had to change in to 2nd gear! I felt like I wanted to take off in 2nd but didn't want to do any damage.

I got Brunswick to fit the new 4L80E auto for me and I farkin love it! It is a fully electronic and programmable gearbox and the only issue I have is that the rev ratio/ change rate in 1st gear still hasn't been smoothed out. As it is programmable, and I have the manual to read up on how to do it, it is now jaut a case of me getting off my butt and sorting it out. (Hopefully.)

IMO... it's still way better than the manual gearbox!
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko17 View Post
    I bought the patrol, already converted with the 6.5l Brunswick, and it had a manual gearbox. When you took off, you were lucky if you got 20m before you had to change in to 2nd gear! I felt like I wanted to take off in 2nd but didn't want to do any damage.

I got Brunswick to fit the new 4L80E auto for me and I farkin love it! It is a fully electronic and programmable gearbox and the only issue I have is that the rev ratio/ change rate in 1st gear still hasn't been smoothed out. As it is programmable, and I have the manual to read up on how to do it, it is now jaut a case of me getting off my butt and sorting it out. (Hopefully.)

IMO... it's still way better than the manual gearbox!
    Awesome news... just plain awesome

I agree with you about the manual ratios i think I have used 1st about 3 times since I've had the truck... but teh Chevy is such a low revving critter thats life I guess.

What sort of fuel figures are you seeing with the auto?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome news... just plain awesome

I agree with you about the manual ratios i think I have used 1st about 3 times since I've had the truck... but teh Chevy is such a low revving critter thats life I guess.

What sort of fuel figures are you seeing with the auto?
    I have been getting between 16-23l/100km... haven't been able to take it on holiday yet. Damn work. While I'm away, the War Office takes it to work, about 90km round trip per day and seems to be getting good milage on it. When I checked and got 23l/100km, I had had a play day in the dunes so used quite a bit there... Hoping to get away over Easter so will let you know.

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast