Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, good info.

Are you considering doing an Allison 6 speed yourself?
    Last edited by FNQGU; 4th February 2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

PMC (5th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RLI- Thanks for that Paul! to combat overheating on my trans, I upgraded to an oil cooler from Kenworth. Didn't know that I could also enlarge the oil pan on the trans though but a bloody great idea. One of the things I was also told was that one major problem in overheating was people blocking the airflow to the cooler fins, whether by placing (usually) great big spot lights in front or some other such thing. Will you go for the Allison 6-speed box? I would've had I not been warned off, and benny's right. I will be very envious if you do... Best of luck in whatever you decide.

@BenK-I had to laugh when I saw the photos of your engine bay... I was thinking 'How did someone get photos of my engine bay?'
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    Where do you fit this false floor mate?
    I'd fit a false floor in the cargo area, or if you are going to keep the Patrol cut the floor and recess a battery box that way some how.
    then the false floor wouldn't need to be as high. That's what I'd be doing even a triple battery set up if your alternator is 100amp.
    How much room under passengers feet easy to make a drop in box for there, just throwing out Ideas,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 5th February 2014 at 12:07 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (8th February 2014), Gecko17 (8th February 2014), the evil twin (5th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smick result there 3D
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roughly what would it cost do to a conversion?

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    Another thing for people considering a Chev conversion to check out first is insurance. AAMI didn't want to know me any longer, despite having a rating 1, being over 40 without any accidents, having done several driver training and 4wd courses etc. they dropped me like a hot rock. RACQ also wanted nothing to do with it.

I could only find two insurance companies who would take it on and I went with Shannon's as they were half the price of the other mob. Shannon's also recognized Brunswick Diesel which lowered the premium somewhat I think. I think my premium is around $650 or so for fully comprehensive, which reminds me, I think I need to tell them about a few extras now too. The second mob (I have forgotten now) wanted $1500/year!!!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app
    Love Shannon's they are good.
    last I noticed is GIO underwrite them.
    but try GIO for same policy and they are more expensive!! go figure.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (8th February 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you know, when I first rang them for a quote, and told them what I had under the bonnet, they said they weren't interested. Then a bloke actually rang me back and asked me if the conversion was one of the Brunswick jobs as he had heard about them. When i said it was, he said they would insure me no dramas. Just Cars was the only other one who was interested and they were twice the price.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tallman View Post
    Roughly what would it cost do to a conversion?
    Sit down before reading further….

Mine was $32K but I have heard they are up a bit from that now. Around $35K. It is expensive, so you have to REALLY want to do it. For the price though, they do cover off on a lot of other extra stuff to make it a nice package. Have a look on their website for the list of upgrades and changes they do.

Brunswick also installed my front locker for nothing because they had the diffs out anyway. I upgraded suspension while doing it all too. I supplied the shocks and they put them in, same for the locker. Actually, they were probably sick of me by the time I had finished with them with all the little things I wanted changed or upgraded.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried looking for an old email I had from Brunswick, outlining all of the things and parts involved in the conversion, but couldn't find it. The email was about 3-4 years old and long story short, it came to $30,000 plus they said that I would have to change my transmission to handle the torque, for another $3000.

I bought my truck, already done and IMO, is the best way to get it.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering what people think about the Brunswick airbox setup. I am not convinced its the best and would be interested to see if there are any different setups out there
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

Page 7 of 135 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast