Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap, had to replace my harmonic balancer as it had a groove in it where the oil seal sat, hence my oil leak I was posting about some time back.

So the old harmonic balancer is on the work bench, I rock the bench and what happens,,, the friggin HB slides off the bench and lands on my foot from a tad over half a metre ....

I think I now have 3 broken toes in my right foot.... my engine is trying to kill me .... Christ I'm in pain!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd February 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch, that would friggin hurt, take it easy Rainsey mate!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Ouch, that would friggin hurt, take it easy Rainsey mate!
    Ha ha, naw, I'm just being a pussy. Turns out actually broke 1 toe and one very bruised. My PPE thongs I was wearing obviously protected my foot more than I thought!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update gents on oil cooling mods progress. Mill from Millweld is kindly putting the custom bar work and storing the beast until I can sort out getting the twin bullbar coolers to him. Turns out that all off the shelf coolers are not suitably sized and Fluid Dynamics need nearly $800 smackers a piece for custom tricky builds. Serck have just recently released a new model wacky size needed with inlet/outlet on the long end required so looking like going down this path:
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/271348588170?_mwBanner=1
    Bursons Lilydale are kindly helping out bringing in the final hopeful piece of the puzzle and we should be good to go build again soon :-)
    https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...unt-kit-detail
    Will keep you posted as best I can hopefully will see my hot idle psi back near a healthy 10psi one day soon :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (23rd February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update gents on oil cooling mods progress. Mill from Millweld is kindly putting the custom bar work and storing the beast until I can sort out getting the twin bullbar coolers to him. Turns out that all off the shelf coolers are not suitably sized and Fluid Dynamics need nearly $800 smackers a piece for custom tricky builds. Serck have just recently released a new model wacky size needed with inlet/outlet on the long end required so looking like going down this path:
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/271348588170?_mwBanner=1
    Bursons Lilydale are kindly helping out bringing in the final hopeful piece of the puzzle and we should be good to go build again soon :-)
    https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...unt-kit-detail
    Will keep you posted as best I can hopefully will see my hot idle psi back near a healthy 10psi one day soon :-)

Mark, is your pressure too high or too low at idle when hot? Mine sits around 150kpa or 22psi and 350kpa at 2000rpm. Engine has done a whopping 800klm though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd kindly put a link on here years ago to the US Military download that I'm slowly working my way through like a nuffy.

Cold idle I've always experienced minimum 40psi and cold 2,000rpm up to near 60psi. Hot and flogging the old girl I've seen as low as 2.5psi hot scary idle. Hot water I think it's turning to :-(

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the oil is the wrong grade, as pressure is 'only system resistance', so if its as thin as water then it isn't going to generate much back pressure I would surmise. Do you know what your oil temp is - bearing in mind this is a critical part of the equation. If its well above the specs above then I can see the benefit of cooling it like you are doing, but if its within spec, temp wise, could it be the oil? Sounds like you have a very accurate oil pressure gauge as well - what brand?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bloody hope it's not the wrong grade oil, GTS owners truck I bought complete and told me never to change from this:
    http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...sel-engine-oil

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bloody hope it's not the wrong grade oil, GTS owners truck I bought complete and told me never to change from this:
    http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...sel-engine-oil

Funny thats exactly what I am running - swapped over from Mobil. That oil must be stinking hot. I am just wondering if a 50 or 60 grade, like a semi synthetic or the like, 10W-60 for example might also help with hot temp viscosity. You maintain the low temp characteristics and increase the top end. Worth enquiring, but first thing any oil company will ask is, 'whats the temp range'. However if your super coolers do their job, then alls well. I guess one thing at a time is best practice. I am eagerly waiting the outcome!!!!! I know a couple of the guys in FNQ have upgraded their oil coolers to a second unit on the chassis rails, but speaking with BD their applications were heavy towing and constant high temps - maybe not the variables yours will see, which makes that pressure stabilising valve a good choice i reckon.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two more temperature sensors spare and capacity on the controller, and i am totally going to be monitoring oil temp as best i can based on what you are going thru.

Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast