Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Yes mate, I mentioned everything you and I discussed...

He's now going to get it tested...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    G'evening AB,

Great, news, i am now a happy man, to much money invested to allow problems occur so soon.

PS, DID YOU FIND THAT BLOODY SNAKE? LOL

Regards,

Paul
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    Ian, how does your Diesel/Gas setup go with the Chev? Was only recently talking to Highlander about that mod. Where do you mount the gas tank and how big is it? How does it affect your fuel economy?
    Ben, the tank is mounted under the passenger side just rear of the passenger front door, has approx. 23 ltr of useable gas, you can definitely feel the difference when it is on in relation to the power. I haven't had it dynoed with the gas on the chev but it used to give me an additional 9 kw at the wheels when I had the 2.8 installed. With the 120 % increase in the price of gas I only run gas every couple of tanks to try to clean out the system and reduce carbon build up. If gas was still cheap I would recommend the conversion but not any more. As for fuel economy I didn't gain that much in dollar value as opposed to power, if you turn it off at 100, you physically feel the car slow down.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian2011 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (16th January 2014), PMC (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLI View Post
    G'evening AB,

Great, news, i am now a happy man, to much money invested to allow problems occur so soon.

PS, DID YOU FIND THAT BLOODY SNAKE? LOL

Regards,

Paul
    No, I set the dogs out and checked everywhere. Must of moved onto Rossco's house next door...lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

PMC (16th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian2011 View Post
    Ben, the tank is mounted under the passenger side just rear of the passenger front door, has approx. 23 ltr of useable gas, you can definitely feel the difference when it is on in relation to the power. I haven't had it dynoed with the gas on the chev but it used to give me an additional 9 kw at the wheels when I had the 2.8 installed. With the 120 % increase in the price of gas I only run gas every couple of tanks to try to clean out the system and reduce carbon build up. If gas was still cheap I would recommend the conversion but not any more. As for fuel economy I didn't gain that much in dollar value as opposed to power, if you turn it off at 100, you physically feel the car slow down.
    G'day Ian,

I had just discussed this with Ben. I just got told by a fitter on site who had installed gas on his 6.5L and he said there was a 35% increase in power with no down side. He said the simple reason was that gas loves high compression.

The only reason I am not so keen to do it, as for Ben, is the loss of room for camping gear.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

PMC (20th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always good to hear that, although until I dyno mine I think a 35 % increase is a bit high but good if it's true.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian2011 For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (18th January 2014), PMC (20th January 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry AB, beyond me mate. I would have been thinking thermostats or radiator too, and if that didn't work I would be calling the cavalry.

Ian, I am running 285/75's, and prior to doing the reduction I was sitting at pretty much 2230rpm at the 100kph mark. For me that felt like the engine was revving high.

Evil Twin, my 10% rev reduction 5th gear was from Marks 4wd Adaptors and is just a standard Nissan gearbox fit up for 5th. I was expecting it to run at around 1900rpm, but I think it is doing about 1780rpm. Happy with that too. It really just lopes along and yet still has plenty of torque for overtaking to speeds of around 130kph. Anything higher and it again feels like it is out of its comfort zone. I've had it to 140kph, but haven't yet pushed it any higher.

I don't know what the difference is between the 4L80 & the 4L85, but yes I would expect a 6L80 would be a nice match with this engine. For me, 1st gear in High Range is almost a waste of time. I do notice that it blows a bit of black soot when starting off in second too, but it is just soooo much quicker off the mark than starting in first.

On another note, although the engine torque is awesome in low range 1st, after doing the Maytown Track (old Coach Road from Maytown to Laura), I really would have appreciated a 43% reduction gear, or even better, that 63% reduction that has been mentioned of late. 85% would be too much for the type of 4WDriving that I do, but the ability to crawl a bit slower up some of those rocks would have saved my tyres a bit more I think.
    G'day BenK

I am curious to what the cost is for 10% rev reduction 5th gear was from Marks 4wd Adaptors?

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLI View Post
    G'day BenK

I am curious to what the cost is for 10% rev reduction 5th gear was from Marks 4wd Adaptors?

Regards,

RLI
    $1,250 plus fitting ... or 25% the cost of a 4L85 conversion

Ooops... typo... meant 4L80, the 85's are much rarer and the Chevs need the better TC but not the increased towing rating (6 tonnes is a tad over our legal limit)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 20th January 2014 at 11:00 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st January 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry RLI, until that got bumped up by ET, I had missed that one.

Yes, cost as per above. I am told however that if I want a 4L85E box put in, that it is a ten grand job! That put me right off...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry RLI, until that got bumped up by ET, I had missed that one.

Yes, cost as per above. I am told however that if I want a 4L85E box put in, that it is a ten grand job! That put me right off...
    Holy Cow, that sounds a tad high to me... I was told it was a an easy peasy swap out. I'll be a tad pissed off it isn't.

A crate 4L80 (IE new) with the higher rated TC was $5,000
    A prof reco 4L80 manual shift was $3,000
    A prof reco 4L80 and valve body with a compushift was under $5,000

The box bolts straight up to the Chev and the adapter for the Patrol transfer case to 4L80 is under $1200

Supposedly the Chev/4L80/adapter length is the same as factory engine/gearbox so the cross member/drive shafts don't need to be worked

I was going for a reco sometime sooner rather than later but if it's 10 grand it will be later thats for sure
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st January 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten grand for install of a 4L85E at Gryphon Engineering here in Cairns, I just double checked. Gryphon work with/for Brunswick, so I'd guess it would be same price over that side of Aus.

I don't know whether it would be worth getting the 4L85 over the 4L80 or not, nor what the price difference is.

I do however have access to a mate with a hoist and mechanical ability, so if a reco gearbox was not a big job, then that is what I will consider doing. I have been very close to wanting to install a low range reduction gear at the moment as well. However I could save on that and put it towards an Auto.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st January 2014)

Page 4 of 135 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast