Page 33 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rainsey, the thermo fan is 240mm dia (ebay) and mounted on top of the intercooler, when BD were fitting the engine I asked for a larger air scoop (the truck was originally a 4.5 petrol, no scoop) so the fan fits nicely inside the scoop housing with enough space for air flow for normal driving. Living on the south coast, Shoalhaven, but travelling whenever possible.

regards

Peter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    snip... Re the speedo / odometer, yep ... your comment of strange is my thought as well.
    Your speedo and odo should be different.
    The reason is that the manuf tries to set the Odo as accurate within +/- x%
    But, by ADR requirement the Speedo is not allowed to underread IE has to be accurate within -0% to +10% of reading + 4KPH
    Bottom line is over a given distance ex factory ratios and tyres the Odo is normally very close and the Speedo overreads by around 4 to 5 KPH
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

peterc99 (24th September 2016), rainsey (24th October 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Your speedo and odo should be different.
    The reason is that the manuf tries to set the Odo as accurate within +/- x%
    But, by ADR requirement the Speedo is not allowed to underread IE has to be accurate within -0% to +10% of reading + 4KPH
    Bottom line is over a given distance ex factory ratios and tyres the Odo is normally very close and the Speedo overreads by around 4 to 5 KPH
    Well bugger me.. and here I have been thinking I have some weird problem. Regardless, the signal is from the same source so if the source is changed, both odometer and speedo change .... I assume!

Ill take note on Monday when I am cursing p the freeway what my Speedo reads when I am on 110km. Pretty sure it is out but more that 5KPH.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi Rainsey, the thermo fan is 240mm dia (ebay) and mounted on top of the intercooler, when BD were fitting the engine I asked for a larger air scoop (the truck was originally a 4.5 petrol, no scoop) so the fan fits nicely inside the scoop housing with enough space for air flow for normal driving. Living on the south coast, Shoalhaven, but travelling whenever possible.

regards

Peter
    Sweet, thanks for that info. I am up at Gosford North of Sydney. Periodically cruise down your way so will drop you a PM next time Im heading that way. Likewise drop me a line if you are up this way.

Cheers

Rainsey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well bugger me.. and here I have been thinking I have some weird problem. Regardless, the signal is from the same source so if the source is changed, both odometer and speedo change .... I assume!

Ill take note on Monday when I am cursing p the freeway what my Speedo reads when I am on 110km. Pretty sure it is out but more that 5KPH.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

At 110 KPH actual (with factory ratios and tyres) to comply with ADRs your Speedo should indicate somewhere between between 110 and 125 KPH
    IE... 110 (not allowed to underread) and 125 KPH (allowed to overread by 4 KPH plus 10% of actual speed so another 11 KPH).

As you say, quite correctly, the speedo and the Odo have the same sensor but are two seperate 'displays' and the two displays are set almost always set up slightly differently at the factory.

If you change your tyres by say 7% in size it will affect both Speedo and Odo the same amount because, as you say, the sensor is common to both
    Sama sama if you change ratios.

Lots of people think that the Speedo and Odo have the same error IE they check speed against GPS and if it is say 10% out then the Odo as out 10% well.
    On rare occasions it will be... but... it is much more common for the Speedo to overread the Odo.

Disclaimer - the above is not applicable to mechanical speedos (cable driven) or electronic Speedos prior to the ADR changes
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

rainsey (25th September 2016), Ropes (29th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, not sure where else to ask these sort of questions .. sorry...

Does anyone know of a twin turbo setup on the 6.5 ?

Cheers
    Rainsey

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bloke seems to know his chev's Rainsey
    http://www.heathdiesel.com/gallery

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (26th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, not sure where else to ask these sort of questions .. sorry...

Does anyone know of a twin turbo setup on the 6.5 ?

Cheers
    Rainsey

Seen some on the Yank sites when browsing around... dunno if it is worth the hass

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

rainsey (26th September 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, my conversion leaves BD on Monday heading for home. I would like to get some feedback pls on the following.

1) what brand and grade of engine oil are you using and also are you using any additives?

2) I have a Donaldson air filter Assyr fitted and have had zero luck finding a k&n equivalent - checked websites and sent k&n a note- so has anyone got a recommendation? I noticed a huge improvement in using the in over the factory Nissan paper unit in the 2.8. I will supply the part number later, but mine is the optimiser n/a crate engine, not the turbo version.

3) do any of you use either a 'water wetting agent re reduced friction or the waterless system? I am focused on outright performance and not cost.

Are there any things I should be focused on regards good practices for this engine?

Thanks phil

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Phil, Please do focus on cooling the new beast down under load IMHO! We've got Yank donks that had original issues already yet we squeeze them into tiny Q's & U's & Yoda's. Some blokes up FNQ have received descent sized oil coolers to solve their experiences, I believe have read ?
    Last edited by MB; 1st October 2016 at 07:39 PM.

Page 33 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast