Thread: All Things Chev

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB,

Thanks for the post. Very informative. I am a bit hyper sensitive of engine temps due to the probs with the ZD30. Sure I warped an exhaust manifold when towing up mount ousley near Wollongong last year. Was on 2nd gear, doing 30km/hr just trying to keep my EGT's below 650.

What was interesting was the old engine I sent to Simms metal. The exhaust port from the Turbo had a massive exhaust leak. Interesting as to to post engine replacement forensics... Shows some interesting info.

No doubt the Chev can cater for higher temps. It heritage has to take this into account.

As I said, it is a big learning curve at the moment. Stay tuned for more updates if it does not bore the recipients.

Kindest regards
    Rainey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (4th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Rainsey,
    I'm learning 6.5s too mate :-)
    The yanks have some very interesting reads, mind you their population has 10x the nuffy's so please do take mine and their posts with an open mind ;-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (4th September 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I am a new-comer to the forum and have been reading thru the previous posts with interest. I am a month away from getting my 6.5 optimiser n/a conversion back from Brunswick. I have however already started to plan the installation of either an additional oil cooler or a fan cooled unit, plus have selected a couple of bonnet vents for heat removal.
    I read some interesting history regards the effectiveness or otherwise of bonnet scoops and decided since hot air rises and air is being forced into the front of the engine bay already it's counterproductive to change its direction.
    I am also looking out for comment regards the effectiveness of the standard safari snorkel on the 6.5. Mine is fitted with the 76mm inlet and ram head. I have a small Donaldson dust spinner however the literature suggests I need a unit to handle at least 300cfm, and the little one won't. Also as I suspected this style is suited more sor statioary plant than 100kph travel - what are your thoughts? I don' t know if my conversion will come with the Donaldson under bonnet canister or the other washable style element - having a brain freeze and totally forgotten the brand - expensive but good. I guess as I wait for the toy to return my planning juices start to run amuck. PHIL

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For clarity I am installing bonnet vents sourced off eBay- located towards the rear of the bonnet on the sides in the belief it will drag the hot air away from the batteries at least.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K&n air filter is the one I was thinking about.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, just a question, why the NA engine and not the turbo?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Hi, just a question, why the NA engine and not the turbo?

Turbo wasn't recommended for the GQ due to the issues of cooling. I also don't have a requirement for heavy towing. If I need more HP/torque in the future I will bolt on a Supercharger.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, new to this forum. I know what rainsey means re some other forums and the Chev 6.5 conversion. My 98 GU petrol now has the 6.5 Optimiser with turbo and intercooler, engine oil cooler, purpose built radiator and K&N airbox and filter - great conversion. Coolant temp probe in the upper return hose - cruising around 80 deg, climbing with trailer (1000Kg) up to 105deg - which is not a problem for this engine, EGTs never over 300deg. If further info would be helpful to other forum members I would be happy to assist.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peterc99 For This Useful Post:

Ropes (29th November 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi all, new to this forum. I know what rainsey means re some other forums and the Chev 6.5 conversion. My 98 GU petrol now has the 6.5 Optimiser with turbo and intercooler, engine oil cooler, purpose built radiator and K&N airbox and filter - great conversion. Coolant temp probe in the upper return hose - cruising around 80 deg, climbing with trailer (1000Kg) up to 105deg - which is not a problem for this engine, EGTs never over 300deg. If further info would be helpful to other forum members I would be happy to assist.
    Peter, I am keen to find out the details on your oil cooler, where its located and its size. My rig is supplied with a cooler however I am looking for a conservative solution to oil temperature control, and without having driven the vehicle can only be guided by owners themselves. I am looking into increasing the oil capacity also, possibly by using a a second oil cooler - location to be decided.
    I am also keen to know if you are running a snorkle and if so, what size is it - diameter? I have a 76mm dia inlet safari snorkle and am considering an upgrade to a 4" unit based on some comments relating to airflow restriction.
    Thanks Phil

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same temperature readings as Peter. I find with the engine that it takes a while to get up to temp, will on general cruising around town sit on the 75 to 80 mark, but it is very fast on the temperature uptake. Towing my camper up the Wattagans on the weekend I hit the 100 degree Mark quite to my surprise.
    As Peter, my EGTS never really go over 300 either.

I run a standard Safari snorkel and was also considering the 4" to replace it from Millweld. My only gripe with the whole conversion was that my nice mandrel bent exhaust has been replaced with a relatively sub standard 3" with quite tight bends. This is something that I want to look at when time and money is available. Am thinking a trip up to Bauedesert to a custom job done.

Let me know if you do go with the 4" snorkel, interesting if there is any benefit.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Page 28 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast