Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea what you are referring to.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhh... setting new lowest standards for a post to get the manuals.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (28th December 2014), growler2058 (28th December 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had one of these engines on a dyno?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I have finally gotten around to getting my tranny coolers re-positioned and a big ass thermo fan installed, and yes it seems to make a huge difference. The coolers are the ones supplied by Wholesale Automatics and are made by PWR. Nothing special really, they are thin but fairly large. Due to a lack of space in front of the radiator, I had previously mounted one in front and one slightly lower, more directly behind the winch, and temps were still a bit high.

I now have the two coolers mounted back to back with a fan pushing air through them. Looks like this:

First install of the thermo fan was behind the coolers, and pulling air through, however I think because they are mounted together this wasn't working very well. Mounting the fan in front saw an 8 degree drop in temps comparatively.

At the moment, the thermo fan runs constantly from startup and is fitted with a shut off switch on the dash in case of a deep water crossing. The shut off switch has a nice bright blue LED in it which illuminates when off, just in case I forget to turn it back on. I may yet change this around and run the thermo off a temp sensor but this is it for the time being.

I also fitted up one of the Aussie made Engine Watchdog's, the TM4 version with the twin sensors and oil pressure alarm. This little unit is just sitting on the dash at the moment until I decide where I finally want it.

The transmission sensor is positioned on the back of the pan.

My first test run saw the tranny temps between the Engine Watchdog readings and the Compushift II showing some big differences and I am trying to work out why. The watchdog sensor would have a reading of say 60 degrees, and the Compushift would be reading 76 degrees. A whopping big difference. I can understand that the internals of the box, or the fluid itself would be hotter perhaps than the base of the transmission, but 16 degrees difference seems like a lot to me. If anyone can shed any light on this I would be keen to listen. I am hoping that the sensor location is ok.

Previous runs at this same location used to see transmission temp readings on the Compushift get to around 93 degrees. This time, it got to 80 degrees with the watchdog only reading 63 degrees. A huge drop in temps. Now I am wondering what the optimal temperatures are for the transmission, and whether this is even a fraction too low?
    Last edited by FNQGU; 22nd January 2015 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    80 degrees fluid temp is OK.

The watchdog thermocouple won't read anything like the same as the Compushift temps.
    One is fluid temp, the other is whatever heatsoak has gotten to the edge of the pan flange.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (23rd January 2015)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Tranny temps now seem really good.

Engine temps around town are sitting between 91 and 97 degrees, and climbing to 103 degrees when worked a bit going up the range. I wouldn't mind getting these down a bit too. I think that the location of the tranny coolers might be restricting air flow through the radiator a little too much. Another headache...
    Last edited by FNQGU; 23rd January 2015 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen an F350 with a 6.7l turbo'd engine and running a 4in exhaust. I got told ages ago to fit one and promptly forgot about it. Mine's got a 3in exhaust.... Is there much, if any, benefit in changing up to a 4in exhaust?
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko17 View Post
    Just seen an F350 with a 6.7l turbo'd engine and running a 4in exhaust. I got told ages ago to fit one and promptly forgot about it. Mine's got a 3in exhaust.... Is there much, if any, benefit in changing up to a 4in exhaust?
    Not with our little motors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (2nd March 2015)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko17 View Post
    I looked at that, but was told there wasn't the room in the engine bay with the Chev in it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (2nd March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have seen it done with the 6.5s the 6.2s but not on a GU
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

16. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (2nd March 2015)