Thread: All Things Chev

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,758 Times in 2,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem, keep them lubricated and make sure they are set up 'aligned' and won't have an issue. The units i am looking at at are 'brown dog' PA204 housings and 3/4" self aligning bearings. Bearing cost $6 each, so you an carry a couple of spares as well. You want bearings, not bushes as the speeds will be too high. The UC204 bearing is a ball race and fitted with seals will be fine. My assy will have a belt that slips on and off as the endless air does not need to be used all the time. I still have the ARB difflock compressor for the difflocks, and endless air for tyres and tools.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd December 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 5,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Days Mate :-) !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to the alternator @MB

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current setup demanded too much of it mate :-( The Thursday night coming down Dingo Hill it decided to stop pushing out any more than 12.1/2ish volts. Shut everything off and tip toed down to camp on low beam lights only. Magically it came back to life Sunday morning after idling for a few minutes. Phil had kindly topped up all my batteries to 100% all day Saturday jumped off his truck and monster solar panels.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    My current setup demanded too much of it mate :-( The Thursday night coming down Dingo Hill it decided to stop pushing out any more than 12.1/2ish volts. Shut everything off and tip toed down to camp on low beam lights only. Magically it came back to life Sunday morning after idling for a few minutes. Phil had kindly topped up all my batteries to 100% all day Saturday jumped off his truck and monster solar panels.

Have you totalled all your current loads with everything going? Bear in mind most automotive alternators are rated at a 5% duty cycle, that is max nameplate current for 5% - primarily aimed at fast input after starting into the start battery. Your 170amp unit is likely the same. I suspect you may be looking at an entirely different beast to the run of the mill units.

Check out this link to Unipower. The Jumbo is interesting and these are 100% duty cycle rated. I had one for a while then sold it as was not using it.

http://www.unipower.co.za/spec-sheet...s-download.pdf

They are dear, but if you dont want the 240V or the welded capacity I am sure you could buy just the alternator. Take note though of the HP required to run it. Mine had double 'A' section and they needed to be tight as when the alternator is generating the 200amps + the belts know it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd December 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil, looks like a beast of an alternator mate, will have to check it out at work one day soon on the bigger screen, Cheers!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More or less sorted out the config for the endless air compressor. Mounted the baseplate across the inlet manifold valley, then configured the bearings, shaft and finally the pivot mount for the compressor itself. Off to Total Tools for belts early next week then weld it up, and start the config of the air receiver tankDSC01955.JPGDSC01956.JPGDSC01957.JPG assy - no idea where that is going to fit!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, finished the endless air compressor instal today - what a journey. I will work on fine-tuning the front belt alignment, but its all in and pumping air out the discharge port. I have the air receiver and manifold block, so all thats needed is to sort out where the tank will go - probably going to sort out the Brown Davis belly tank first, then see what space is left - getting a bit crowdeDSC01963.JPGDSC01962.JPGd under the vehicle. With bonnet closed the pulley just touches the bonnet vent, so a couple of mm taken off locally with the dremel and happy days. Very tight installation, mount bracket is made in hell and took approx 20 hrs of design then I reckon 40 hrs to manufacture as everything had to be put in place then measured, taken off, trial fitted, changed where needed x 50, frustrating but a good result.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd December 2017), Rossco (22nd December 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MB, what did you end up running for your 'high temp hose' between the air compressor and tank? Also how long was the hose approx - I am reading 2m minimun/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Original installation had the ARB standard flexy braided rubber hose (approximately 0.5m) connected to the little locker tank and not the compressor as they were too far apart. All I ended up doing was swapping the braided rubber back to compressor side where the heat is and upgraded all other plastic lines to a chunkier PP I think it is. The two blowouts I experienced before were both within 100-150mm from compressor and on the thinner harder plastic Airbag Man lines installed. All seems fine now after last trips running compressor flat out, fingers crossed!

Page 87 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast