Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Things Chev

G'day guys n girls.

I thought that I would creat this post for all of those that have had the 6.5l V8 conversions done to their Patrol's or even those that are thinking about doing it.

My aim is to try to get all of the info in one place and easy to find.

Feel free to either post about things that work, things that don't or even things that would work with a few mods. Any info that helps is appreciated.

I know that there are quite a few of us on the forum now that has this conversion. the other thing being that everyone has an opinion on how these conversions preform but few have actually owned or driven one so lets see if we can't squash a few rumours while we're at it.

@ AB, Can you please make this a sticky? I am not sure if it is in the right place either...

Ok, a little bit about my truck.

I brought my 2006 series 4 GU wagon with the ICTD 6.5l Chev back in 08/2012, here in WA.
    The conversion had been done by Brunswick Conversions also here in WA, back in 02/2011. With the conversion, it also had a 5spd manual gearbox and 3.9:1 diff ratios. When I used 1st gear, the range was so short, it almost made it worth skipping it altogether and starting off in 2nd gear. To get around this problem (for me anyway) I replaced the manual for a 4spd Chev transmission.

Since owning it, I have travelled both north and south of Perth, usually towing a camper trailer. The fuel economy was slightly better than what I had with my old 98 4.5l GU Patrol, at around 15-18l/100km but obviously a lot more power.

Am I happy with my wagon? Damn straight! I now consider that I have the perfect alround wagon. Can it be improved? Absolutely! The only question is how much you want to spend...

Folks, this is just my opinion, as an owner of a 6.5l V8 Chev. All I can say, thinking back a couple of weeks ago when I went for a test drive off road, is what I posted a while back, being that I still giggle like a schoolgirl when I hit the loud pedal and it shows me just what it is capable of. I love my truck!

Look forward to hearing from the rest of you.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th January 2014), OBW351 (21st March 2019), PMC (14th January 2014), Ropes (26th November 2016), threedogs (5th February 2014)