Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Things Chev

G'day guys n girls.

I thought that I would creat this post for all of those that have had the 6.5l V8 conversions done to their Patrol's or even those that are thinking about doing it.

My aim is to try to get all of the info in one place and easy to find.

Feel free to either post about things that work, things that don't or even things that would work with a few mods. Any info that helps is appreciated.

I know that there are quite a few of us on the forum now that has this conversion. the other thing being that everyone has an opinion on how these conversions preform but few have actually owned or driven one so lets see if we can't squash a few rumours while we're at it.

@ AB, Can you please make this a sticky? I am not sure if it is in the right place either...

Ok, a little bit about my truck.

I brought my 2006 series 4 GU wagon with the ICTD 6.5l Chev back in 08/2012, here in WA.
    The conversion had been done by Brunswick Conversions also here in WA, back in 02/2011. With the conversion, it also had a 5spd manual gearbox and 3.9:1 diff ratios. When I used 1st gear, the range was so short, it almost made it worth skipping it altogether and starting off in 2nd gear. To get around this problem (for me anyway) I replaced the manual for a 4spd Chev transmission.

Since owning it, I have travelled both north and south of Perth, usually towing a camper trailer. The fuel economy was slightly better than what I had with my old 98 4.5l GU Patrol, at around 15-18l/100km but obviously a lot more power.

Am I happy with my wagon? Damn straight! I now consider that I have the perfect alround wagon. Can it be improved? Absolutely! The only question is how much you want to spend...

Folks, this is just my opinion, as an owner of a 6.5l V8 Chev. All I can say, thinking back a couple of weeks ago when I went for a test drive off road, is what I posted a while back, being that I still giggle like a schoolgirl when I hit the loud pedal and it shows me just what it is capable of. I love my truck!

Look forward to hearing from the rest of you.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th January 2014), OBW351 (21st March 2019), PMC (14th January 2014), Ropes (26th November 2016), threedogs (5th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,714 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My brother just purchased a patrol with the same engine which was done by Brunswick in wa as well. Also got the extra cab put on which makes a big difference!

I heard the earlier models pre turbo had issues with number 4 but I'm ill keep my eye on this thread for advice for him and ask any questions he may have about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved this into the Engine Conversion Sub Category
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (13th January 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea Highlander.

Like you I have the Turbo Intercooled version, although in a 1999 manual wagon. I agree with your comment regarding first gear, and I have been starting to think about an Auto, although I do like to drive the manual.

I had mine installed because I wanted the torque when towing a large reef boat, and for that it has been fantastic. It has also proved fantastic in the bush doing slow work as the torque just eats it.

At the moment I am in the process of setting it up for a bit more touring, and I think this engine will be great on the long open roads when towing a camper. I have also installed a 10% 5th gear rev reduction gear, which brings my revs at 100kph down to around 1700rpm or so. Great on the open road, but not so great towing a load. The Autron Cruise control works really well on the long runs too.

Since installing the engine, I've done a 3000+klm trip from Cairns to Winton and Longreach, and then back to the Coast and return to Cairns. A couple of trips up Cape York, one to do the Maytown Track and return via the Creb Track, and a second trip to Virilya Point in November that was over 3000k's as well. The engine has been great on all occasions.

My best fuel economy was just under 14l/100kms when on the trip out west, minus any roof-rack or camper. The Cape trips averaged 17l/100km, with loaded roof-rack and towing my 3.8m tinnie on an off-road trailer. That included a bit of beach driving, some of the tele-track, some National Parks and lots of the Peninsular Development Rd. I was pretty happy with those sorts of fuel figures which were better than what I had managed in a 200 series LC on a similar trip and with similar load.

Overall - very happy with the engine conversion.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (14th January 2014), Ropes (27th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear Ben. I have to get the cruise control unit and I know that there is a thread on it for the 6.5l so will have to look at that. I also have to look at my brakes as she's a pig to pull up at the mo but I seem to recall you saying that yours stopped on a dime? I need to get the wheels off and have a look at the pads and rotors.

As for fuel economy, I am running 35s at the mo as my play tires. On road/off road revs at 100kms were around 2000rpm so very happy as have a roof rack with 4 x spotties on as well as larger tires so when I drop down to 285/75/16s I reckon it will be about 1700rpm as well.

Does anyone know about or have got the Compushift II computer for the auto trans? I am having a few issues trying to get the optimum setting...
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruise Control is cruise control. I don't think there would be a certain type that goes with the Chev 6.5 any better. I went with the Autron as I got to drive another vehicle with it fitted, and it worked nicely. I think it is pretty good gear and made in Aus.

Brakes - I ended up doing what a few here have done with brakes and fitted some dimpled and slotted rotors and the EBC 6000 SERIES Greenstuff Brake pads. I only did the fronts, but yes, braking is definitely better. No change in how it 'feels' on the pedal, but it definitely pulls up quicker, even with a big boat behind me.

I was just today talking with Graham at Gryphon Engineering here in Cairns. He does all the Brunswick conversions at this end of town. He has been fitting a lot of Chev Autos lately and has all the computer gear for tweaking them. I think it was the older 4L85-E he was doing. Not sure if anyone has tried the 6-speed yet. No doubt someone would have by now.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running stock size tires and at 100 kph, I sit on 2100 rpm with the 3.9-1 gear set as Brunswick do, BenK, what were you sitting on prior to getting the gear reduction. I was looking at increasing tyre size to see if that would help with my rpm but looking at your post Highlander, you are reducing tyre size to achieve the same goal as me, on another note, I just pulled a camper trailer from Albury via Townsville to Darwin with a roof bag and box and averaged 15 - 16 lph depending on terrain. Engine performed flawlessly even through 44 plus heat in Qld. I like everyone else would be interested in an auto install too.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian2011 For This Useful Post:

Ropes (27th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reducing tyre size will give higher RPM at 100 KPH not lower.

From heaps of surfing over the yank sites... 1700 to 1800 ish is about where they get their best fuel economy.

BenK... where did you source your 10% gearing from?

Last week I was talking to two blokes here in Perth, one with the 4L85 and one with a beefed up 4L80 and both reckon best thing ever.
    If thats the go then a 6L80 should be goddam awesome as 1st is waaay lower and 6th is even higher overdriven ratio than the 4L80/5's
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th January 2014 at 07:44 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Ropes (27th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,714 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi gents, have a bit of a potential disaster post possibly...

As some of you know my brother just recently purchased his new Patrol after someone rode off his old GU.

Anyways, Its the 6.5 chev non turbo in a GU cab chassis done by Brunswick in WA (not sure of exact type).

He just drove it back from WA to Melbourne and it ran like a dream.

Long story short it was a bloody hot day today and he drove up a long and steep hill to Christmas Hills from Yarra Glen (some of you know the hill) and it heated up to almost boiling but the temperature gauge read 3/4.

It was fine after the hill and cooled on the downhill.

Went to see a customer and it sat in the carpark for an hour and a half so cooled a bit too.

Drove 10 minutes down the road and it boiled again.

He got it home and is in his shed now looking at it but any advice is welcomed.

Praying it has not done the head of course.

The radiator overflow was pissing out hot water so we can eliminate thermostat shut (it has twin thermos too).

What can he check?

Both themostats stuck open? doubtful...

Water pump, doubtful?

Any other advice I can relay is appreciated!!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

PMC (15th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could still be thermostats AB. What temp are the thermos kicking in? Could the radiator be blocked with bugs, dust etc etc from the trip across? Did he touch the level when he stopped for the hour and a half? When it's cold start it and run and allow it to warm up and see if any bubbles start to form in the rad.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

AB (14th January 2014), PMC (15th January 2014)

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast