Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Substitute Recovery Points

Hello Guys

In the weekend I was asked to “recover” a very stuck campervan – a 3.5 tonne vehicle down to its axles at the back. Several others had tried but it was wet and the Prado and Vitara that were present didn't have the traction or weight. They were also using some dammed dangerous gear/techniques but as always it hadn't bitten them on the arse – yet !!

In preparation we did a lot of digging but jacking it was hopeless as they are all fibreglass and there was nowhere I could put the high-lift where it was going to do any good (without wrecking bodywork). I am going to make up some webbing loops because then we could have jacked on the wheel spokes but a normal lift-mate wouldn't reach. A lift bag would have been good though.

Anyhow that was only the start of the head-scratching. The camper didn't have any tow points in the right places, much less anything rated.

So I used a big tree protector, double choked around the chassis, and it did the job fine, with the prep work the Safari had it on flat ground first try.

I see from all the “manuals” that choking wire round trees (and presumably anything else) is “verboten” and I understand how a poor choke reduces the wire or line strength due to the angles, but why else is it bad practise ?? (apart from the obvious damage to trees). By using the loop in a tree protector there is no hardware like a shackle to become an additional missile. We always used a double choke hitch when we were logging in the bush, although when you’re hauling there’s no one in the line of fire if your other procedures are correct.

Any ideas ??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tentman For This Useful Post:

Golioth (28th October 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Its binds its impossible to un do, Plus the fact you'll ring bark the tree.
    There are guide lines in place for safe recoveries but ,,,,,,, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
    with whats available.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have come to the best option imo.
    As you said you weren't happy with the recovery points, and I would back your decision.
    I always say it's your call. It's your gear, your rig, your life. So if you ain't happy, walk away..

And your spot on with the tree trunk protector. It's wide to protect the tree.
    By wrapping the strap around tree you are doubling the strap strength..

Anyway, I think you came to the best outcome in the situation..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook