Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Winch rope

Hi Chuck here,
    This is my third post so far so good, on my first post I referred to my new second hand Warn winch having an over ride in the rope, and attaching to a power pole to unwind it,
    My question is should the rope be rewound after recovery in a neat parallel coil on the drum?
    Or in spiral fashion where the coils overlap diagonally, The way I see it is if they are nice and neat when the pressure comes on the rope is drawn into the layer below causing an over ride.
    Hope the question makes sense!
    2012 GU Y61, Bull Bar, D/Lights, Alloy 1/2 rack, Warn winch, side steps,Snorkel, Remote coms / mobile & UHF,Dual batteries, set up for camper towing remote areas. nick name " Chuck "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about steel wire rope - it should NEVER cross over or overlap. This will put a kink in the rope and weaken it at that point. Synthetic rope is a lot more foregiving.

After getting home from doing a recovery - the rope should be unwound, cleaned and rewound in tight parallel coils making sure it does not cross over itself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

93patrol (8th January 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that.
    Its Spectra, so nice and tight it is.
    Chuck
    2012 GU Y61, Bull Bar, D/Lights, Alloy 1/2 rack, Warn winch, side steps,Snorkel, Remote coms / mobile & UHF,Dual batteries, set up for camper towing remote areas. nick name " Chuck "

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what Spectra is? Is that Steel or synthetic? Synthetic is the opposite and should be coiled in parallel and add random cross overs across the spool often to avoid that embedding of the rope into the spool.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

93patrol (8th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Not sure what Spectra is? Is that Steel or synthetic? Synthetic is the opposite and should be coiled in parallel and add random cross overs across the spool often to avoid that embedding of the rope into the spool.
    Spectra is what some synthetic ropes are made of.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    coil it nice and tight and the last 10ft or so you can criss cross across the drum.
    You would never winch this short anyway
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    coil it nice and tight and the last 10ft or so you can criss cross across the drum.
    You would never winch this short anyway
    Hey John,

If you have Synthetic rope then you should criss cross across the drum at random right through the spool. This will provide cross section layers and stop the rope sinking into the spool when under load.

Your rope should be respooled after every use if you can, it does not take long on a synthetic rope and will ensure you have a winch ready to go every time. Last thing you want to do is sort out your rope when your in trouble.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th January 2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (8th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Synthetic rope should not be laid "neatly and parallel" for it's full length on most (I stress most not all) low mount winches.

All the low mount winches I have played with rely on the drum dissapating a lot of the heat via the steel cable (good heat conductor) and there being an air gap inbetween the cable turns.

If you "pack" the synthetic rope onto the drum the heat cannot escape and if you have a drum brake and winch out extensively will melt the first few layers into a solid mass.
    I've had two Warns given to me for repairs and they looked like someone had wrapped plastic dinner plates around teh drum

If your winch is a high mount OR designed to take synthetics OR has an external brake then no problem and all you have to watch out for is overruns and loops
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th January 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi chuck here.
    Thanks for the feed back
    Lot's of info and as all seem to recommend a diagonal rewind for the rope thats the way it stays.
    as for the name "Spectre" it's a clone from kevlar use in the yachting world, a trade name for an arimide fibre .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Synthetic rope should not be laid "neatly and parallel" for it's full length on most (I stress most not all) low mount winches.

All the low mount winches I have played with rely on the drum dissapating a lot of the heat via the steel cable (good heat conductor) and there being an air gap inbetween the cable turns.

If you "pack" the synthetic rope onto the drum the heat cannot escape and if you have a drum brake and winch out extensively will melt the first few layers into a solid mass.
    I've had two Warns given to me for repairs and they looked like someone had wrapped plastic dinner plates around teh drum

If your winch is a high mount OR designed to take synthetics OR has an external brake then no problem and all you have to watch out for is overruns and loops

Hi ET,

Yes most Low Mount winches run an internal Drum brake as you stated, if you run a Synthetic Winch rope on a Low Mount with an internal drum brake you should install a protective sheath for the first wrap around the drum at a minimum.

Far more important IMO is Avoid Winching OUT as much as possible. Use the free spool every time. Winch out only in Extreme circumstances. The internal Drum brake is fully engaged while winching out and creates huge Heat at the centre of the drum. As you state the wire rope conducted this heat as apposed to the Synthetic that melts.

If a low mount is used for forward winching only then very little heat will be created. The Drum Brake will engage every time you take your finger Off the pull button but as there will be little slip drag friction the heat will be far less.

In saying that though, a Low Mount running synthetic Rope should have the rope inspected after each trip out where it has been used. Good idea to have a good look at it while you have it off to wash it if it got dirty.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (9th January 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast