Thread: VIC High Country Trip '13 - '14

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emm View Post
    We also have recovery gear (snatch strap, shovel and some of those maxtrax copies from aldi which I won't put much hope in).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
    Please also remember NO SNATCHING FROM A TOWBALL. Not under any circumstances. Someone WILL get hurt. All the other vehicles will be fine, take it easy with the Santa Fe though......It will do most things but no low range will make steep, slow work very challenging.
    Last edited by Drewboyaus; 9th January 2014 at 11:30 PM.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emm,

I wouldnt recommend Wild Horse Track for the Santa Fe, as there is a couple of steepish sections, and you want them to enjoy it but not break it....depends on how many, but they could drive up to the circuit rd - Leave it in a pull off area on the side of the road and jump into the other vehicles - do the loop and then come back to get it

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Please also remember NO SNATCHING FROM A TOWBALL.
    We take our tow ball off and go through the towbar with the shackle, I'm assuming this is correct?
    Do you mean that people actually put the snatch strap over the towball???
    Mate if this is the case there needs to be offered a government subsidised one day safety course for four wheel driving... or even an online course.
    I already believe there should be some sort of towing course; we have seen far too many caravan drivers loaded or driving in an unsafe way - we have a caravan and they can cause real problems if people do it wrong.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate if this is the case there needs to be offered a government subsidised one day safety course for four wheel driving... or even an online course.
    Although people only have to read a magazine or a book to figure it out!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take our tow ball off and go through the towbar with the shackle, I'm assuming this is correct?
    Do you mean that people actually put the snatch strap over the towball???

Yes, that is the correct method.

And unfortunately yes.....there is a whole thread on here dedicated to towball recoveries. You would be surprised how many people do it without even thinking.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emm,

I quickly found a couple of pictures of the net which explain why we suggest not to use the towball for recoveries. Many people have used the towball safely, and there are a few different ways to minimize the risk of the ball breaking, but I can't recommend it and when they do break stand well clear ......
    TowBarSnatch[1].jpg
    towball3[1].jpg
    The results are not pretty, and people have been killed and injured using these techniques.

The safer way is this ....

6000kg_Snatch_Strap_2[1].jpg
    22e6843e[1].jpg

You can buy something like this for the first safe pic
    IHOOKBOW[1].jpg

or use the second pic as your guide, where you place your strap through the receiver hitch pin, like I do.....

The idea is to minimize the amount of metal that can break and fling back or forward as a missile .... so no joining two straps in the middle with a shackle, and don't use the towball that can shear off .....

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 12th January 2014 at 06:12 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

emm (12th January 2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234