Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    My Missus hates going on hilly roads like the Dandes or going up past Healesville.

She was a nightmare when we crossed the Great dividing range and Mt Kosziosko. 5-1/2 hrs of climbing and descending for 250kms.
    She never wants to do that again.
    Your in the building industry , offer her a spoon full of concrete!!!!!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Great pics and drive guide mate..... jealous as I was in the region but we only did one days driving and that was more like touring.

We stayed at the Merrijig motor inn for New Years (3 nights)

So Billy Goats starting to look good again?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Your in the building industry , offer her a spoon full of concrete!!!!!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!
    A spoon, no mate, I'll bring her a bag. Lol
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post

Great pics and drive guide mate..... jealous as I was in the region but we only did one days driving and that was more like touring.

We stayed at the Merrijig motor inn for New Years (3 nights)

So Billy Goats starting to look good again?
    Yeah BA,

Not quite there yet, but it is starting to get back to the Billy Goat Bluff of old, with quite a lot of exposed rock steps on the upper and lower sections, with a nice soft powdery patch in the middle where I had to put my foot down a little.

All of us enjoyed it immensely.....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (8th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome write up Mic. Sounds like a top trip. That should give a few blokes some ideas.
    In your travels around there, do you know if they have closed South Bassalt Knob? I had heard they have bulldozed it closed while they "fix it up"......

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Awesome write up Mic. Sounds like a top trip. That should give a few blokes some ideas.
    In your travels around there, do you know if they have closed South Bassalt Knob? I had heard they have bulldozed it closed while they "fix it up"......
    We didn't check it out Drew ... we were going to go that way, as I had originally planned to go through to Blue Rag, but we changed things around to suit our travelling party, so I am not sure of the status.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (8th January 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mic, we're heading out in convoy with 5 vehicles to Mansfield in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate your recommendations of what we could do for a day's 4wding while there, all experienced except one, would definitely consider them a novice.
    TIA,
    Em

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emm View Post
    Hi Mic, we're heading out in convoy with 5 vehicles to Mansfield in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate your recommendations of what we could do for a day's 4wding while there, all experienced except one, would definitely consider them a novice.
    TIA,
    Em

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey Em,
    How are the vehicles set up? Winches? Recovery gear? Rated recovery points on vehicles?
    Would be able to drive all those tracks with a stock vehicle in the dry pretty much but a bit of rain up there and you'll need recovery gear. No better way for a novice to learn than to get out and have a crack with the right guidance!
    I can have a squiz at my map of the Mansfield area but if you're not looking for anything too hard, the drive up to the huts is nice, could do 3 Chains Tk (there's a real fun steep, rocky bit in that but can go around).
    How many nights? Base camping?

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The back side of 3 chain Drew isn't for the faint hearted. The first section to the ridge looking at mt.buller is steep but fun and not too hard. A fair way along thwre is some quite steep and rocky down hill sections and I woukd only do these in the dry. I the wet, it would be a good way to shite your pants. Going back up in the wet is definitely a locker job and lots of winching. I want to go back soon and take Jonathan along this track.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A good track for the novice to get a grip out that way actually down past sheepyards. Cant remember what track is called but as you go over the bridge into sheepyards, hang a right and follow the track up and over the hill. Steep with a hair pin so you cant miss it. Follow this along until you come to a fork in the road. Right takes you down to Fry's hut. Go left and up the hill. This takes you into Tobacco Flat and continue along. The track gets narrow and there is some fun and steep'ish hill climbs. Good for a novice, unless its wet. It gets real slippery. Head up and along until you reach a another road. Turn left and follow this until you reach the slate mine. Good views and fun if you have a locker or mates on trail bikes there. You can keep going along to Mitchells flat. Good steep down hills toward there, same again if its wet be careful. From Mitchells you can go to Wren flat which is the start on the Jamieson river etc etc...
    Last edited by mudski; 9th January 2014 at 12:16 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

emm (9th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The back side of 3 chain Drew isn't for the faint hearted. The first section to the ridge looking at mt.buller is steep but fun and not too hard. A fair way along thwre is some quite steep and rocky down hill sections and I woukd only do these in the dry. I the wet, it would be a good way to shite your pants. Going back up in the wet is definitely a locker job and lots of winching. I want to go back soon and take Jonathan along this track.
    You can go around that steep gnarly climb if you want. Coming down the other side I had the back wanting to overtake the front......was fun though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast