Thread: Gu goes bang

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu goes bang

Well, not quite bang, but either way it's terminal.
    ruff idle, lots and lots and lots of blue smoke on aceleration, a serious lack of power and generaly unhappy, so another gu 3.0 is now off the road, how ever im at doors end as to what i should do with this machine

any input would realy be apreicated, but this is what im looking at.
    replacing the motor with a reconditioned motor, now if i do the nads on the new motor will it stop it going bang? or will it simply prolong the life of the motor as it will go bang in the end anyway?

ive had the idea put into my head of a ls1 conversion, now i can handle that idea, but how much does this cost? got to be realistic as at the end of the day it's still a nissan patrol but with a v8 under the bonnet, i mean the early ls1 motors had issues also.

or should i simply call the wreckers, but my losses and say come get my car?

and if i decide to sell it, would people buy it and install a new motor themselfs? if so what price would be a good asking price?

help me make my mind up, so many options, not sure what one to take.

either way im quite pissed at myself for not doing proper research, and im doubly pissed at nissan for selling the world such a large peice of poop.

garth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join the throng of not happy ZD30 DI owners, your best bet if it's a nice wagon would be to fit a TD 4.2 motor, good for half a million KS.
    use the DI motor as a boat mooring!!
    Cheers, the ferret.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,740 Times in 2,501 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i assume its an early 3ltr?? engine swap would be your best course if the rest is ok, try bullet diesels if you are over east they do conversions to v8's and trade the old motors so a 4.2 diesel would be the go unless you can get a late 3ltr as that would be cheaper, if you are going to keep it i would go the conversion and then you will be ok, if not expect 3-4 k for it depending on condition.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bugger sorry Garth, I just checked and you have a 2000 GU. If the body is in good nick then you could go the LS1 or LS2. A TD42 would go in without Engineers but the LS will be a simple enough conversion nowadays too.

What state are you in mate?

How nice is your 2000 GU? How much did you pay for the car originally? How many kms.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if on a budget get a later model DI 2004-2006, LS1 or a V8 Diesel conversion or simply a 4.2
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the gu is in perfect condition, well, it was, everything body wise, and interior wise is smick, ill put a cover over it and sit on it for a few weeks, weight up options and see what happens, ls1 conversion could be a option, im part of a holden forum so to get onto a ls1 wouldnt be dificult at all, did see that someone out there makes a ls1 conversion kit, including the bracket for aircon and engine mount jig for the holes. wiring is a walk in the park for me, being a electrician and all, so will just see what happens. the 5.7 would be brilliant, can charge the snot outa it. time will tell.
    Last edited by Garth; 7th January 2014 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garth,

I would get someone to check it, just in case it isnt something terminal ( sounds like it is, but sometimes you can be surprised )

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coulda just shit a turbo on the zd. Work a check atleast.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if a pipe come off the intercooler or turbo it will do exactly this sort of thing, it is always best to check first
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate get it checked, make sure it isn't something with a simple fix. Don't slingshot your self into the deep end straight away.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast