User Tag List

Thread: GQ 4.2 Gas Petrol Problem

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry GQ 4.2 Gas Petrol Problem

I haven't been on here for quite a while. Been pretty bloody crook. All that being said as the health improves some other gremlins attack our happy lives.

I have had an intermittent problem with the troll just cutting out. No fuel pumping, no gas priming, no spark at coil or dizzy. This post is to help some other hapless person if ever they have the same problem.

Being stubborn as I freely admit I am. I simply couldn't let this beat me. First thought I replaced the coil......WRONG.......then the fuel safety switch.........WRONG........I did mention this was intermittent but then could not get a start come hell or high water. I found heaps of bad wiring, poorly connected hoses, shoddy previous repairs and then I found the culprit.

I have a very small hole in the very top of the fuel tank. This hole stopped the tank from pressurizing. In turn a solenoid won't actuate and as a result there is no power to the gas or ignition. a simple perished hose can cause the same problem.

Hope this info helps someone out. It was quite the learning experience for me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ablast For This Useful Post:

baloo (1st December 2015), clivelm (3rd April 2014), my third 256 (6th January 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ablast View Post
    I haven't been on here for quite a while. Been pretty bloody crook. All that being said as the health improves some other gremlins attack our happy lives.

I have had an intermittent problem with the troll just cutting out. No fuel pumping, no gas priming, no spark at coil or dizzy. This post is to help some other hapless person if ever they have the same problem.

Being stubborn as I freely admit I am. I simply couldn't let this beat me. First thought I replaced the coil......WRONG.......then the fuel safety switch.........WRONG........I did mention this was intermittent but then could not get a start come hell or high water. I found heaps of bad wiring, poorly connected hoses, shoddy previous repairs and then I found the culprit.

I have a very small hole in the very top of the fuel tank. This hole stopped the tank from pressurizing. In turn a solenoid won't actuate and as a result there is no power to the gas or ignition. a simple perished hose can cause the same problem.

Hope this info helps someone out. It was quite the learning experience for me.
    The trusty old vacuume system.
    I bet your clutch and brakes feel 10x better to??

Good find.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    The trusty old vacuume system.
    I bet your clutch and brakes feel 10x better to??

Good find.
    Don't reckon that's quite on the same path there kal.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABLAST, do you have a carby or efi 4.2

I have a carby TB42s

I had my petrol line discounted as I had the petrol tank out - i.e. nil pressure. I was running the truck for a month on LPG only - nil issues.

Im guessing you have a EFI setup
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Thankyou

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I had replied with a conclusion to this but obviously didn't so here goes. Shortly after repairing the tank it broke down again. There were two problems.
    One of the hoses on the fuel tank had a pin hole in it.
    The next problem was a dirty MAF SENSOR. The mechanic I took ot too tried to get me to replace the MAF sensor but I went Super Cheap and bought a can of MAF sensor cleaner, gave it a good squirt and cleaned out the housing and it is 100%. A new MAF sensor would have cost me about $700.00. Proper electrical spray will do the same thing. Important not to touch the two transistors with your fingers and the conecting probes are sensitve too. Be careful not to bend them.