Thread: 08 GU 3.0 Patrol Turbo Oil Leak

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

08 GU 3.0 Patrol Turbo Oil Leak

Hi Guys and Gals, I am New to the World of Patrol GU 3.0L Diesels, I am currently looking to buy an 08 Patrol Wagon 3.0L Manual with 230k km on the clock, its a local SA Country Vehicle, owned by Farmers on the Eyre Pennisular, I've had a quick look at the vehicle at the car yard in Adelaide and noticed that the Turbo has had the Compressor Replaced on the Turbo and that there appears to be oil leaking from the hose leading to the Intercooler? Is this something I should be worried about? It also has an Exhaust Leak from the Manifold to the Head ( the salesman said ) Is this a common problem with Manifold warping? This Patrol Drives Very Nice and the Engine Sounds Good apart from the Slight Exhaust Leak, Thanks in Advance. Pajman

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g'day Pajman, firstly 230k seems too many k's for such a young truck. i would be checking service history for sure also is the dealer going to fix the problems? how much is the truck? it would want to be well below $20,000 or you wouldn't touch it and i would have a good look around because there are plenty of ex gov with under 100k for just over $20,000 anyway good luck with the hunt, cheers....G
    2008 GU 2" LIFT, GME UHF BLACK KING WHEELS, SAFARI SNORKEL, LIGHTFORCE 240' KAYMAR DUAL WHEEL CARRIER STEINBAUER POWER, beaudesert 2 3/4 system, runva 11,000 comp winch.....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi G, yes the truck has Hi Ks but I guess its a lot of driving from Pt, Lincoln to Adelaide and Back 1,300 km every 2 weeks? I checked the Log Book and it All Good? The Asking Price is 21k and the CY are going to fix the Exhaust Leak and Bubbled Dash but after that there is No Warranty. I am Suprised to hear You Can pick up Ex Gov Trucks for that dough and km? I might have to take a Holiday up where you are and drive back with one?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Walk away, would be my thoughts.
    plenty of better buys around, do you have a budget. like
    you said might be better to fly and drive home if you find the right one
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think yous are Right, without a Guarantee (over 200k km) its too Risky. The Kids only have 20k max so that why we were looking at this one, I saw a 08 with 76k km for $37,500 ! I thought $21k for a 230km 3.0L Turbo Patrol was Not Too Much? Is there a Link to Common Problems around 200k km?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real problems to speak of at this stage.

Main problems relate to bolt-ons....... like a cracked EGR, or a warped Exhaust Manifold.

A couple of early CRD's had bolts fall out of the Oil Pump internally and starve the motor for oil circulation, but I would think that any of those ones would have already surfaced by now.....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    No real problems to speak of at this stage.

Main problems relate to bolt-ons....... like a cracked EGR, or a warped Exhaust Manifold.

A couple of early CRD's had bolts fall out of the Oil Pump internally and starve the motor for oil circulation, but I would think that any of those ones would have already surfaced by now.....

Mic
    So Warped Manifolds are a Common Problem ? How do they Fix this? Use a Milling Machine or Replace the Manifold/s ? The Car Yard said the Bubbley Crash Pad would be Replaced by Nissan Aust under Warranty?
    Would that be Correct? I've read that This 08 Model were very bad for Bubbley Crash Pads?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd walk away for sure, in any case the oil leak from turbo could actually be from blowby (closed crankcase ventilation).
    Bubbly dashes are ongoing issue in all Patrols from 04 up. The problem is that some vehicles which had the dash replaced under warranty are already bubbling again.
    There is 6 years only free dash replacement limit. So being 08 plus 6 years this years it has last chance.

Warped exhaust manifold is mostly due to excessive EGTs. (600-700C) The manifold probably needs replacement, not cheap. Since or if the high EGTs are not corrected it will warp again.
    High EGTs could be a result of overfuelling, usual cause injectors very expensive to fix as each is around $1000 a piece.

This Patrol is due for some expensive ticket items plus whole a lot of more maintenance issues so if you aren't handy with spanners prepare to be fleeced. Has it got EGT gauge and boost gauge fitted?
    If not it has been driven like normal car which is ....and when towing anything like that, it has been cooked EGT wise.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 6th January 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I'd walk away for sure, in any case the oil leak from turbo could actually be from blowby (closed crankcase ventilation).
    Bubbly dashes are ongoing issue in all Patrols from 04 up. The problem is that some vehicles which had the dash replaced under warranty are already bubbling again.
    There is 6 years only free dash replacement limit. So being 08 plus 6 years this years it has last chance.

Warped exhaust manifold is mostly due to excessive EGTs. (600-700C) The manifold probably needs replacement, not cheap. Since or if the high EGTs are not corrected it will warp again.
    High EGTs could be a result of overfuelling, usual cause injectors very expensive to fix as each is around $1000 a piece.

This Patrol is due for some expensive ticket items plus whole a lot of more maintenance issues so if you aren't handy with spanners prepare to be fleeced. Has it got EGT gauge and boost gauge fitted?
    If not it has been driven like normal car which is ....and when towing anything like that, it has been cooked EGT wise.

Cheers
    Thanks Mate, thats what I needed to know, makes sense now.....5Yrs of Pt. Lincoln to Adelaide Return 3 times a Month Fully Loaded Trailer = Excess Exhaust Temps ! That Little 3.0L CRD has been Screaming for Mercy. We'll give that one a Big Miss. Thanks Again.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajman View Post
    Thanks Mate, thats what I needed to know, makes sense now.....5Yrs of Pt. Lincoln to Adelaide Return 3 times a Month Fully Loaded Trailer = Excess Exhaust Temps ! That Little 3.0L CRD has been Screaming for Mercy. We'll give that one a Big Miss. Thanks Again.
    There is a reason they're trying to flog it off in Adelaide and not Pt Lincoln. Everyone there knows its story...Nissan dealer at Pt Lincoln has rather low reputation too.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 7th January 2014 at 05:52 PM.