Thread: need some advice on buying GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need some advice on buying GQ

Hey patrol peeps

Ive been out of 4wds for a few years now and looking to get back into it, been trolling all the classifieds, vehicles sites etc looking for good GQs.

I found this one which appears to me to be an ideal truck, Would love everyone's opinion on what it would be worth. Any help would be much appreciated.

This is the description of the truck:
    GQ ST Patrol 7 seats, 285000k One Owner Air Condition
    4.2 Turbo Diesel, 3" exhaust, Safari heavy duty clutch,
    Modified injector pump,(great for towing, good economy)
    ARB diff lockers, Snorkel, 40channel UHF, 150lt fuel tank,
    Body & Suspension lift, Bull Bar, Hid spotlights, Duel Batteries, Small & large 7 pin plugs, with Anderson plug. Already for towing. 10 Stack cd stereo. Rego June 2014 RWC.

Has logbooks and proof of purchase in 1992

price advertised at $12.500

Cheers
    Gavin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good value I reckon. Sweat ride
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just had another look at the pics underneath. It has down a heap of beach work mate. All parts rusty. Steering damper is rusty and likely the original one. The springs are rusty too and unlikely to be a lifted spring or a very old one. My 10 year old Old Man Emu are still black powdercoat.

Have a real good look for rust. Knock everywhere for bog. Take a decent magnet even
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx mudrunner, those rusty parts are they expensive replacement/repair items? My father in law is a panel beater so was gonna take him to look for rust. ironically the guy selling it is a panel beater aswell.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Excellent! Let the 2 panel beaters sort out whether he has done any dodgy bogging.

Looking at the rust I would expect to put a new lift in it, new drag link, maybe a new tie rod and front panard. You could spend another $2k doing that. Then 3 cans of fish oil spray and lay under it and go Sick!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like a good buy
    yes the suspension looks past its due date, but as MudRunner said - $2K will sort that, and you will have years of life out of it

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx guys, i was always going to redo the suspension anyway. when i had my other patrols i had always planeed on getting the whole lot done with tough dog. Always like the idea of adjustable suspension. Are they still good?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brwndoggy View Post
    thx guys, i was always going to redo the suspension anyway. when i had my other patrols i had always planeed on getting the whole lot done with tough dog. Always like the idea of adjustable suspension. Are they still good?
    I am not a fan.

If your after a 2" lift then I can't go past Old Man Emu mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was thinking the most i would go would be 3" lift, and maybe 33" tyres, nothing too extreme.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no comment on Tough Dog - never used them
    No Comment on Old Man Emu - didnt last 2 yrs when I had some - ditched them PDQ

I have used (long time ago) Ultimate Suspension - when they used to be over here in the west - now they only have their shop / manufacturing in NSW somewhere
    never had a problem with them, they were Kick Ar$e, kept the 4wd on the road, good articulation....

meh - horses for courses

cheers

just a though
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast