Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: LawnBowls Intro

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbowls View Post
    Good Night everyone ..... thank you so much for your welcome and all your advice .... my rum is gone ... my nanna nap is calling... great to meet you on forum ... I look foward to more chats or whatever yu call it..... my mother once said to me ..

"If its to be ... its up to me" goodnight ...
    Night Gary , glad to have you here , look forward to chattin, and as for UHF I'd stick with Uniden.

BTW were you the one on the phone to president for 3 hours. LOL
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony .... just jumped over to the radio forum page thingy .... its all double dutch to me ... 3db 6db 9db bla blas .... got lost in the terminology ... what does it mean to me 40 as opposed to 80 channel??
    Good night Gary.

3db, 6db etc refers to the aerials gain, which basically means it's transmit/recieve pattern. See the image below, it explains it a lot better than I can.

40 channel UHF radios have their channels evenly spaced within a certain frequency range. The newer 80 channel units operate within the same frequency range but have the extra 40 channels in between the original 40 channels, I hope that makes sense.
    As a user it means you have a much better chance of finding a clear channel.

Just to confuse you even more, on the current 40 channel UHF band channels 1 - 8 are repeater channels, so you only use these when you want to access a repeater. A repeater is a base station that picks up your signal, amplifies it and retransmits it to increase the range of transmission. BUT, when you use a repeater you utilize the duplex feature on your UHF, where it automatically transmits on say channel 1, but recieves on channel 31. 2 & 32, 3 & 33 etc. So you should NEVER choose channels 30 - 38 for general transmission.
    So now your 40 channel UHF only actually has 24 general transmission (or simplex) channels. Of those 24 channels building sites, trucking companies, traffic controllers etc all have their chosen channels and it starts to get a bit crowded. The benefits of an extra 40 channels is obvious. The second pic should help explain how duplex and repeaters work. If you click on the attached thumbnails it will enlarge them.

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YNOT; 26th January 2011 at 12:35 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Clunk (29th January 2011), Finly Owner (26th January 2011), lawnbowls (27th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'Day Gary, welcome to the forum mate.
    Great start with over 70 posts on your intro...

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I add my photo or "avatar" big word for me...
    Hi Gary, Welcome 2 the forum mate, here is a link to your question, hope it helps

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ghlight=avatar

Any problems just yell out and someone will help you out.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

lawnbowls (27th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn what an intro thread. Welcome to the forum Gary. Good to have another local onboard
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Gary from the apparent oldest member (although some might not be telling their Age).
    Have not taken up Lawn Bowls yet as I believe it is a dangerous Sport. Something to do with having the highest death rate whilst participating. LOL
    All jokes aside congrats on your intro and enjoy
    Last edited by Bob; 26th January 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Good night Gary.

3db, 6db etc refers to the aerials gain, which basically means it's transmit/recieve pattern. See the image below, it explains it a lot better than I can.

40 channel UHF radios have their channels evenly spaced within a certain frequency range. The newer 80 channel units operate within the same frequency range but have the extra 40 channels in between the original 40 channels, I hope that makes sense.
    As a user it means you have a much better chance of finding a clear channel.

Just to confuse you even more, on the current 40 channel UHF band channels 1 - 8 are repeater channels, so you only use these when you want to access a repeater. A repeater is a base station that picks up your signal, amplifies it and retransmits it to increase the range of transmission. BUT, when you use a repeater you utilize the duplex feature on your UHF, where it automatically transmits on say channel 1, but recieves on channel 31. 2 & 32, 3 & 33 etc. So you should NEVER choose channels 30 - 38 for general transmission.
    So now your 40 channel UHF only actually has 24 general transmission (or simplex) channels. Of those 24 channels building sites, trucking companies, traffic controllers etc all have their chosen channels and it starts to get a bit crowded. The benefits of an extra 40 channels is obvious. The second pic should help explain how duplex and repeaters work. If you click on the attached thumbnails it will enlarge them.

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

Tony
    Iknew what it did, but not having my set in front of me I couldn't instantly recall Duplex/simplex as I hardly use it anymore.
    Nice discussion and I have saved your attachments too.You're a natural at explaining this easily. I know this stuff and still couldn't say it as well as you. (but I didn't know out on 1 in on 30 stuff)
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

YNOT (26th January 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Night Gary , glad to have you here , look forward to chattin, and as for UHF I'd stick with Uniden.

BTW were you the one on the phone to president for 3 hours. LOL
    Wrong guy .... that was the other new guy.....

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Welcome Gary from the apparent oldest member (although some might not be telling their Age).
    Have not taken up Lawn Bowls yet as I believe it is a dangerous Sport. Something to do with having the highest death rate whilst participating. LOL
    All jokes aside congrats on your intro and enjoy
    Hi Bob, Bendigo ehhh .... I was born there in Golden Square way back when ....

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    Damn what an intro thread. Welcome to the forum Gary. Good to have another local onboard
    Hey Dhuck..... I live in Munruben .... not far from Marsden ... thanks for the welcome

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast