Thread: Bull Bars Under Threat

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bull Bars Under Threat

An email I just received from ARB.

ARB, in conjunction with the Australian 4WD Industry Council has launched a national on-line public survey to collect information from the public about their use of bull bars and nudge bars.

The safety of Australian motorists that drive vehicles fitted with bull bars and nudge bars is threatened by proposed new Federal Government regulations, which are based on rules developed for the European environment and road conditions by the United Nations Economic Cooperation for Europe (UNECE).

The 4WD Industry Council wants up-to-date information about bull and nudge bars - also known as "vehicle front protection systems" (VFPS) - for its consultations with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development in Canberra about the proposed regulation. This regulation focuses on pedestrian safety - not vehicle and occupant safety.

The Department has now released a Regulation Impact Statement for Pedestrian Safety Standards for public consultation, which closes on 15 April 2011. This document includes extensive discussion on "VFPS" and contains options for the regulation of bull bars.

By completing the 4WD Industry Council's survey, participants will help meet the need for current accurate data on the use of bull and nudge bars. The Council hopes to learn more about vehicle types, driving patterns and critical safety issues, such as animal strikes and other impacts.
    Adoption of this overseas rule would make it impossible in Australia to fit bull and nudge bars, which are designed to protect drivers and passengers in front end animal strikes and other impacts. It may also ban winches and driving lights.

The Federal Department has released the proposed regulation for a three month consultation period. We want to collect road users' views and report them as part of the industry response.
    The survey takes only moments to complete and is totally confidential. We will add this new data to a report recently commissioned by the Council to study animal strikes on Australian roads.

These Council initiatives respond to the lack of uniform data about the estimated 25,000 to 30,000 vehicle-to-animal strikes occurring each year across Australia. We do not believe that good regulatory decisions can be made without proper research and without canvassing all key issues.

ARB encourages road users to complete the on-line survey as soon as possible. The Survey closes on 31 March 2011. For every person completing the questionnaire, the Council will donate $1 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service, to a maximum of $20,000.

Click here to start the survey
    1984 MK Anniversary Model, LWB,SD33,Air-Con,P/S,Straight Body,Minimal Rust.........Not Bad For Free

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:

MS29431 (25th January 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're way ahead of you, GEC started a similar thread a few weeks ago; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...highlight=bull

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well delete it then Tony, no use leaving rubbish lying around.
    1984 MK Anniversary Model, LWB,SD33,Air-Con,P/S,Straight Body,Minimal Rust.........Not Bad For Free

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Chops, we cannot promote this enough mate so we will leave this up for all to see, thanks heaps for posting it up.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Chops, hope your travelling ok mate!

Lets just leave this one going too incase people miss the other one.

I also heard this on the radio abut 4 days ago, there were discussions up in ACT about this subject.

I tell you what, this will hurt a lot of businesses and hurt a lot of 4wd owners!

I love our country but this is the only thing that pi*%&ses me off....Our insane ever changing laws!

Might have to drag my sorry *ss to the "Pet Hate Thread"...lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with you on that AB & welcome back Chops good to have back on again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey chops, glad to see you are still with us, is the health improving? check out "Bullbars at risk" as well mate, it has drawn some attention.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'Day Chops, Good to see you back on the forum mate. This subject can't be advertised enough mate

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Chops.

Somewhere on the forum, probably in the intro section, I'm almost 100% sure, there's another bloke that's joined up from Exmouth too. I'll have a gander.

Welcome back.

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just filled in the survey. I have a feeling this has been tried before several years ago, and the backlash was so strong it was dropped. The problem when it comes back again is that they usually push harder. So the more responses the better.
    Living in rural areas as a lot of us do makes it just about mandatory to have a bar fitted. We have had several clashes with roos, with and without bars and I knoww which I prefer best.