Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bad shacking in steering

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi how are you? i have the same problem with mine at 80. have to push through 80 as quick as i can for it to settle. i asked the mechanic what it would be when i first got it thinking maybe it was the wheel bearings but he reckons if it has done a lot of 4wd the front suspension tends to wear and that could be the problem. i work away and havent got around to getting the new suspension in but when i do i will see how it goes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from alloys to steelies & found that what ever shake it had had amplified. Its due to the weight of the steelies compared to the alloys. It only takes one component in the front end to be worn to upset the balance. I rebuilt my whole front end & got it to drive spot on. Then as things started to wear it got the shakes. first was a pan-hard bush, then drop arm bush, then loose control arm bolt, then loose pan-hard to diff bolt, then a knackered tie rod end on the drag link. I just done the front wheel bearings again. now the drivers side king pin bearings are gone. each time one of the above components wore out it gave me the same result through the steering wheel. The only one that was real bad was the worn tie rod end, that felt like the front wheel was about to part company.
    Last edited by TuffTD42; 1st March 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea well i got it to stop shaking all 4 tyres were faulty they seperated at 80ks and above and man it took a lot for the tyre joint to belive me i had to put on my sons tyres to prove my point ill never buy nexan again

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there fixed it replaced alloy mags with steels made no difference.

1. replace all worn bushes in steering especially panard rod bushes
    2. replace BFG all terains with a decent tyre like a good year etc.

wobbles all gone

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my front suspension tyres, wheels (sunnies) are new, now i get the wobble that i didn't get before, only when i hit certain types of bumps tho

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    All my front suspension tyres, wheels (sunnies) are new, now i get the wobble that i didn't get before, only when i hit certain types of bumps tho
    That sounds like your new wheel/tyre package has highlighted a steering or suspension fault.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to not miss anything when doing any upgrade to suspension components, especially if you don't know the history of the vehicle or if it has not been maintained at regular periods. Simply put spend the bucks and do it right once. Mine is 22 years old and with the mods I have done it rides and handles as good as any late model gu I have driven. I'm not a mechanic but did all the work myself in the carport. One last thing to look at is the panard rod mount where it is welded to the chassis rail. Mine gave way which lead to the upgrade, this weld tore more so than broke, if you think your wobbles are bad now you should see how bad they are when that happens. Check everything . Might not help but good luck sorting out your issue mine did do exactly what you described before the work I did but wobbles no more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggittyboogitty View Post
    My suggestion is to not miss anything when doing any upgrade to suspension components, especially if you don't know the history of the vehicle or if it has not been maintained at regular periods. Simply put spend the bucks and do it right once. Mine is 22 years old and with the mods I have done it rides and handles as good as any late model gu I have driven. I'm not a mechanic but did all the work myself in the carport. One last thing to look at is the panard rod mount where it is welded to the chassis rail. Mine gave way which lead to the upgrade, this weld tore more so than broke, if you think your wobbles are bad now you should see how bad they are when that happens. Check everything . Might not help but good luck sorting out your issue mine did do exactly what you described before the work I did but wobbles no more.
    I fully agree. Sometimes we all want to do things as cheaply as possible, understood, but save the bucks and do it right first time and you will be a happy motorist!! Same goes, mine is 19 years old and handles like a dream!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my brother’s GQ last December had all the above symptoms, came in at 80km and out at 90km replaced all the front bushes but is still has an ever so slight vibration. Some advice that a guy in the steering and suspension business for 20 years said it will be worn components!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another note re where the weld tore, this was not all that noticable until the suspension was suspended and then BAM! there it is!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast