Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bad shacking in steering

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bad shacking in steering

Hi all can someone help me ive just fitted new rims and tyres to my GQ and now when i get to 80kph the steering shakes that bad i have a job to hold it i took it back and they checked it al out and said that they all balanced up good i watched them when they did it. It did have a slite shake befor with my old rim witch were alloys but not as bad as it is now with steel one (sunraisers)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have worn steering components that for some reason are now showing up more with the new wheels.

Tony

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^ X2

This is the first thing I'd be checking for as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i renewed all bushers in panhard rod and put new steering dampner on as well got the wheels rebalanced again at another tyre place (4th time) in 2 days and still the shake is their between 80 and 90 ks i also took it to my mechanic and he could not find a thing wheel bearings are fine with no play or movment iam at my wits end

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some research on this myself as mine has started to display some characteristics. The information I have read is everyone goes oh that's just a Nissan thing, happens when they start to get some age - well I do not subscribe to that train of thought and have spent a metric !@# load on trying to track it. Mine is intermittant, sometimes coming in at 70 kph, other times not until after 80 kph, sounding like a balance issue, so yep balance three times with tyres off as I thought sand or something inside beads, nope! New Panhard rod bushes in mine as well. My tyres are down as well so would like to find the solution before I replace them. Seems to me more like a combination of, or culmination of issues, slight wear here and there, worn tyres, slight inbalance and Bam - a Nissan mind of its own
    If you find the solution I know a few people that will be keen to buy you a beer or two!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gordy iam not giving up yet i swapped tyres from back to front and side to side but no that didnt work
    its p....ing me off but iam not giving up yet

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have this issue too - sometimes the wobble from the steering wheel is really bad, othertimes not so bad.
    Will defo keep an eye on this thread, to see if any of you experts fix it
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had the death wobbles too, replaced all bushes in the suspension front and back, panhard bushes included, then went to the next step of replacing swivel hub bearings and upgraded to a new steering dampener, problem solved, in my opinion it has to do with wear and tear in the suspension more so than the steering, for ages i would jerk the car from left to right to alter the balance and that would stop the shakes fror a short time, thats what got me thinking suspension, from there i spent almost 5 grand but problem sorted in the end

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only got the death wobbles after replacing all the suspension and wheels and tyres, steering dampner etc etc, but it only happens at slowish speeds when the left hand wheel hits certain type of potholes. At highway speeds (touch wood) it drives like a dream. Maybe those "certain type of potholes" i never hit when it was stock?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, If I come off a gutter, shakes come in earlier. So definate combined front end components worn,

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast