Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I remove dash switches in 2012 GU

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks, I've been doing a few electrical mods. I want to get to the back of the instrument light dimmer to connect the backlighting in my boost and pyro guages. Seem to remember in my '99 GU II that the switches just popped out the front of the dash but I can't seem to get them out this way in the new one. I can't see properly, but it is almost like they are screwed in from the rear and then the dash was assembled. Any clues?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm I think it would pop out too?

While your playing with switches I can highly recommend moving the sub tank switch from the stupid place at the bottom of the centre section where you can't see it and place it in the gear surround panel. Soooo much better there.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, it reminded me of another gripe I have with the new car. I'll start a new thread about the sub tank so I get relevant responses. And if I ever get the bloody switch out I'll post up how I did it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatBoyzInc For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (14th December 2013), MudRunnerTD (14th December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look here for sub tank switch relocation I did on a GU IV.

My memory of getting switches out is you needed to get to them from behind, they went out backwards if you know what I mean.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes they are screwed in. If you put your hand up from under you should be able to disconnect the plug from the back of the dimmer switch and get access to the wires.

If you want you gauge lights to dim with the dimmer switch, connect then across the blue with a black trace wire and pink wire.

If you want them to come on full brightness regardless of dimmer switch position, connect them across the blue with a black trace wire and black wire.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Bidja (22nd August 2017), BigRAWesty (14th December 2013), growler2058 (14th December 2013), Maxhead (14th December 2013), MudRunnerTD (14th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Yes they are screwed in. If you put your hand up from under you should be able to disconnect the plug from the back of the dimmer switch and get access to the wires.

If you want you gauge lights to dim with the dimmer switch, connect then across the blue with a black trace wire and pink wire.

If you want them to come on full brightness regardless of dimmer switch position, connect them across the blue with a black trace wire and black wire.
    You know stuff Rodney
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    You know stuff Rodney
    That's why we keep him tied up.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    gotta earn his keep somehow LOL
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely take them out from the back .... had me stumped too the first time....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a go today. Only problem is my Guage only have one wire for the lighting. Can I assume that the Blue with black trace is earth and just connect to the pink?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast