Thread: Starter motor issues

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter motor issues

Hi guys I'm new to this whole thing on maintaining car myself and I'm having trouble with the stater motor I got a new one I put it back in like the other one and nothing no sound no cranking over I don't know if I did something wrong or it was a dud I bought please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    any dash lights come on when you try to turn the key? Are your battery terminals and posts clean?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Sarah newbie (25th January 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah battery is fine checked battery was clicking over with the old starter but this one nothing happens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Typical starter motor has a main +ve terminal for high current to the motor, and a smaller +ve wire from the key start to operate a solenoid (relay) which connects the high current +ve to the starter motor. Check that you have the smaller wire connected to the solenoid terminal. You can also jump from +ve on the battery to the solenoid and see if that makes the motor turn over. You are playing with high currents Here, and although it is only 12Volts, you can give yourself a nasty burn if you don't take care. Better if you can "phone a friend" if you are not into electrics on cars.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Col.T (10th February 2016), dom14 (2nd February 2016), Sarah newbie (25th January 2016), Wine_maker (1st March 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks I'll try that

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried when starter motor was out of car and put positive and negative on it turned but in the car nothing happens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Take pics or vids of what you are doing and post them as it sounds like something really simple that you are missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Sarah newbie (27th January 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you may have missed a wire to the motor. Either the earth wire, solenoid wire or the thick +12V wire from the battery. Earth wire is usually the body.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (1st February 2016), Col.T (10th February 2016), Hakan the Swede (8th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Miss Newbie,
    reckon Dom's on the money.
    Could be even simpler with one of the wire connectors not having a clean surface...metal to metal. Flakes of paint in the join, who knows.
    Take the wires off, give the ends a wire brush or abrasive paper rub and put a smear of grease on them before refixing. Might pay to feel along the wires to 'see' if there's a break in one somewhere. Just flex the wire all along feeling for a sharp angle in the wire when it should be a smooth. Unlikely but stranger things have happened.
    I'm an old man so this is a pre modern P.C. comment. Love to see the ladies getting right in there.
    Regards,
    Col.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th March 2016), Hakan the Swede (8th July 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Sarah,
    When i purchased my GQ i had very similar problem. MY Starter would only click when in the car, so i ordered a new starter and replaced the old one. The problem was the old starter was the wrong one. The person who owned the car before me had put the wrong starter in.(i think they purchased it from a wreckers) Therefore when my solenoid when to engage the shaft, the shaft of the starter motor was already engaged onto the fly wheel. When i removed the old starter the flywheel teeth were a little worn. So this no doubt will have repercussions later.
    I only noticed it, when i put both starter motors side by side on the ground to work out the difference. With the new starter the ol patrol starts perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast