Quote Originally Posted by Tunguska_1908 View Post
I have an '03 GU with the trusty (cough cough) ZD30DI in it & I've got an intermittent leak from same/similar location. Suspect it's the water pump, but until it is leaking constantly I'm not prepared to part with the $$$ to replace the bugger...
I've had the car for 3yrs and there's always been a coolant smell when the motor is switched off, but no evidence of a leak until recently, About 100ml of coolant on driveway under the front of the motor, dripping off the diff. Looked everywhere & no sign of a leak, hoses etc all ok. Funny thing is, it might leave a small pool of coolant one day, then nothing for a few weeks. So until it starts hemorrhaging coolant, I'll leave it be.
Bit disconcerting when heading out into the sticks though :-(
Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
I hear you I'm losing coolant but I cant figure it out, got me beat where its leaking from.
I'm willing to bet my last cent that you two have the same issues as me, and a lot of other ZD30 owners... The timing cover seal / goo is being pushed out. And mine is intermittent like all hell. Recently it's been a week without a single drop and then one day it just starts pouring out. I Too smell coolant big time everytime I turn engine off and jump out of the car after its warmed up. The coolant leaks but sits in a little tucked aaway corner where this gasket most commonly fails.
It accumulates in a small puddle in there until there is enough for it overflow and thats when you see the leak over the diff and eventually on the ground..

I'm monitoring mine still, as it does not leak in a "oh $#it" way... yet. And $2k + is a lot of $ to forkout and have majority of your engine ripped apart just to fix a $15 seal ... Very annoying but it is what it is.