Thread: Coolant leak CRD 3.0L

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been talking to 4x4 obsession and at this stage I'm confident car will go there to get this fixed as the bloke I spoke to seemed to know about this problem and the job involved fairly well.
    Watch this space.
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should mention it was 4x4 Obsession in Melton. Fair drive from my place, but from very good things heard about them, it's worth it I think . . .
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not much Brett doesn't know about Patrol, ARB trained then started Total 4x4 in Epping at Fred Parkers old shop.
    now he's at his second premises at Melton. Good choice IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th January 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So it's not under warranty Eric?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So it's not under warranty Eric?
    NO chance mate, car is nearly 3 years out of warranty. Even though its only done 60k.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar problem

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    No wonder its doing your head in, very inconsistent
    I have an '03 GU with the trusty (cough cough) ZD30DI in it & I've got an intermittent leak from same/similar location. Suspect it's the water pump, but until it is leaking constantly I'm not prepared to part with the $$$ to replace the bugger...
    I've had the car for 3yrs and there's always been a coolant smell when the motor is switched off, but no evidence of a leak until recently, About 100ml of coolant on driveway under the front of the motor, dripping off the diff. Looked everywhere & no sign of a leak, hoses etc all ok. Funny thing is, it might leave a small pool of coolant one day, then nothing for a few weeks. So until it starts hemorrhaging coolant, I'll leave it be.
    Bit disconcerting when heading out into the sticks though :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunguska_1908 View Post
    I have an '03 GU with the trusty (cough cough) ZD30DI in it & I've got an intermittent leak from same/similar location. Suspect it's the water pump, but until it is leaking constantly I'm not prepared to part with the $$$ to replace the bugger...
    I've had the car for 3yrs and there's always been a coolant smell when the motor is switched off, but no evidence of a leak until recently, About 100ml of coolant on driveway under the front of the motor, dripping off the diff. Looked everywhere & no sign of a leak, hoses etc all ok. Funny thing is, it might leave a small pool of coolant one day, then nothing for a few weeks. So until it starts hemorrhaging coolant, I'll leave it be.
    I hear you I'm losing coolant but I cant figure it out, got me beat where its leaking from.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear you I'm losing coolant but I cant figure it out, got me beat where its leaking from.
    Remove your overflow tanks John and separate the two. The top tank often cracks on the underside of it as it sits on top of the lower tank. If any dirt or small debris gets in there it will create issues. Mine had the finest hairline crack in it, I could always smell coolant but never see it.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunguska_1908 View Post
    I'm willing to bet my last cent that you two have the same issues as me, and a lot of other ZD30 owners... The timing cover seal / goo is being pushed out. And mine is intermittent like all hell. Recently it's been a week without a single drop and then one day it just starts pouring out. I Too smell coolant big time everytime I turn engine off and jump out of the car after its warmed up. The coolant leaks but sits in a little tucked aaway corner where this gasket most commonly fails.
    It accumulates in a small puddle in there until there is enough for it overflow and thats when you see the leak over the diff and eventually on the ground..

I'm monitoring mine still, as it does not leak in a "oh $#it" way... yet. And $2k + is a lot of $ to forkout and have majority of your engine ripped apart just to fix a $15 seal ... Very annoying but it is what it is.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678