Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coolant leak CRD 3.0L

Not having a lot of luck with this car lately. One thing after another... And I don't even abuse it!
    Coolant leak I noticed yesterday evening, leaking down what looks like the side of the engine between the air-con compressor and accumulating around that circled sump bolt. Wiped it last night, and this morning there was a bit there again and that was without driving the car. Leak is slow, as it's only gathered a few drops around that area and a few drops sitting on some suspension direct beneath it.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how much is leaking after I drive the thing.

Tried to see and peek in exactly where it may be coming from, between pulleys and the airconunit, but so tight there it's very hard to tell unless you rip the whole thing apart.

What sort of damage am I possibly looking at, like is there anything common? Water pump?

[/URL][/URL]
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Might want to throw some silver flakes in it,??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just went for a drive and got he engine to operating temperature. Got back home and not a single drop under there. Waited half a hour and had another look and once again not a single drop... yet.

For what it's worth, I've just noticed white powdery crap (glycol in coolant ) all over the hoses around the overflow bottle, but cannot see any leaks or anything. I'm 90% I havent noticed that before. and doing some quick googling brings up a few threads from the other patrol forum, about the same thing.
    If it is somehow leaking from the top, I have no idea how it would have made it's way down to the front front/bottom of the engine as per my original past.
    Mind you my car was parked in my driveway which has a bit of an incline.

Last edited by Hodge; 7th December 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Where does that overflow tube lead to

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Where does that overflow tube lead to
    Straight back into the bottom of the bottle.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stuffed up that train of thought, lol
    are the bottom of any hoses you can get to tight,
    might just need to nip them up when the motor is cold

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,316 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As TD said. Nip up all the clamps for a start. hard to tell from the pics but is there any hoses or engine components that contain coolant directly above the said leaks? Water can only drip down...Also with your hose. Mine does it too. Its not leaking at all. I think its just the cheap rubber used. Being a little porous and the coolant bleeds through the rubber and dries leaving the white residue. Notice header tank is spotless but the hose isn't. If the tank had a split or hole in it you would assume the residue would be all over the tank...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Just went for a drive and got he engine to operating temperature. Got back home and not a single drop under there. Waited half a hour and had another look and once again not a single drop... yet.

For what it's worth, I've just noticed white powdery crap (glycol in coolant ) all over the hoses around the overflow bottle, but cannot see any leaks or anything. I'm 90% I havent noticed that before. and doing some quick googling brings up a few threads from the other patrol forum, about the same thing.
    If it is somehow leaking from the top, I have no idea how it would have made it's way down to the front front/bottom of the engine as per my original past.
    Mind you my car was parked in my driveway which has a bit of an incline.

Mine has a little bit of coolant around the overflow bottle cap too, and it has been in for two services since I noticed it, so I think a littlr bit of coolant there is no problem....

Yours is more likely to be from a hose clamp or water pump

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mudski and Happy. I've seen the white residue on other cars as well, in fact my wife's Magna has it.
    I just find it coincidental that I found a leak at the same time as noticing this white stuff on the hoses. I had the bonnet up not even 4 days prior and that was not there I'm sure of it.
    If I wiggle, that hose where it joins close to the cap with the yellow sticker, there is a few drips of coolant coming out. But nowhere near enough to drip downwards, let alone all the way to the front of the engine.
    I had a look this morning after the cars been sitting cool/idle for more than 12 hours and there is nothing there no where the existing coolant was that I noticed.
    Weird.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok this thing is back now, same spot, and I've taken a closer look and seemed to have found roughly where it is leaking but so stupidly tight it's hard to pin point. It's sort of running out of somewhere around the top of the tensioner pulley, but towards the block. Have a photo below, and circled in yellow looking from under the hood downwards you can see a shiny spot where coolant is accumulating and down running down the block and aircon.

And I'm not sure, but seems to me it only happens on warm days and when car is NOT driven. Weird. Today it seemed to be a reasonably larger patch.

Curently going through the Patrol manual to see whats around there other than the thermostat/hoses, but I don't think it's that.

Attachment 50715Attachment 50716
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast