Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angle grinders...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That reminds me, I must get a visor....... got goggles and glasses but will be no good if me grinder kicks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

threedogs (7th December 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clogged disk equals an uneven disk and when spinning at very high rpm equals boom. Should always inspect the disk. If some clown before you has clogged it for the next person, chuck it.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caught a cock head on site (lucky for him) had a cut quick blade (14") worn down and was attempting to put it in a 7". Quick cut blades are rated for 4400rpm 7" grinder 8600rpm. No visor nadda it would have blown apart at 8600 rpm would have been nasty.

Have a google of Angle grinder injuries PHARKN NASTY!!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Heres a ripper for you true story, Italian guy up the airport doing home renos and was cutting in some door architraves.
    Saw wouldn't fit so he removed the saw blade and fitted it to the 9" grinder. Turned it on and lined it up for a cut ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    as soon as it touched the timber it bit took off and ended up embedded in his shoulder blade, nasty as you say.
    He went to Emergency with saw in his back, very lucky person an idiot but lucky.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (7th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi John,

Wha did you need explaining?

When using a 9" angle grinder I am a big fan of being in the standing position with both hands on the machine in the operation grip, elbows in and braced to you body, one foot slightly forward like you are ready for a fight. Good balance, a firm grip and respect for the unit will see the job done safely.

As I See it the problem with standing on the unit is when your trying to the lift the bloody thing into an operating positionwhile it's spinning. Nasty bit of kit.

I remember sitting at the Christmas table about 10 years ago while my then 15 year old nephew told me how he and his mate were doing a heap of work on cars and his mates dad let them use his 9" angle grinder in-supervised and how his mates Dad had removed the guard cause it was in the way! I hit the farking roof at the Christmas table!!

He is my nephew by marriage and my wife is the youngest of 4 girls and this young fella did not have a dad so no male figure. I am that guy now. My sister inlaw's all just looked at me. No idea. Needless to say he never used the grinder again. His friends Dad should be bloody shot!! D1ckhead! Right there!
    Thanks for the post. Good male mentors is what's wrong with our society.....not enough that care.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Caught a cock head on site (lucky for him) had a cut quick blade (14") worn down and was attempting to put it in a 7". Quick cut blades are rated for 4400rpm 7" grinder 8600rpm. No visor nadda it would have blown apart at 8600 rpm would have been nasty.

Have a google of Angle grinder injuries PHARKN NASTY!!
    best one I saw was a bloke put a 14 inch tungsten blade in a quick cut for cutting old sleepers he didn't run out of luck that time but im sure he would have sooner or later
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    The 9inch is a monster of a tool. I can see why they have been banned.
    I wonder how the old 12 inch grinders are going at the hire company I worked for an extremely popular item.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A general rule for cutting aluminum is to treat it as wood instead of metal and use wood tools like a toothed blade on a drop saw as mudrunner said.
    A mate pushed his alloy bullbar onto his wheel when his 4x4 hit a tree and used a chainsaw to cut it off. Natural reaction from people was that it's a crazy idea but it works better and safer than a grinder with surprisingly little wear on the chain.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can see that working as it would be throwing pieces of alloy out and not clogging the blade.
    Good out come in an emergency situation, Blades are what $30 each,
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah the chain really didnt wear that much at all. A sharpen up and it was as good as new. Probably about the same as 3 loads of wood worth of wear
    Hello from Under Down Under!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

threedogs (8th December 2013)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast