Thread: Angle grinders...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    1mm turbo wheels, a grinders best friend.

Most sites I have been on ban 9in grinders BUT.... You can use a 7in grinder which has the same size motor but smaller disk.
    It's a joke hay..

My favorite 2 tools in my shed..
    The 5" is my file and the 9" is my grinder..
    As mentioned alloy melts into the disk pores, so grab a 1.6mm inox free disc. This is a finer disc with a good reinforcement layer. I use 1mm disc but you have to be steady. To much side load and boom..
    Don't stick it all the way in!!! Contrary to belief a little is better.
    Only have the disc just cutting the bottom of the plate, the less disc in the alloy, the more fresh disc you have..
    Use a handle, you get more control.
    Do short stints, alloy the alloy to cool to avoid excessive build up on the disc.
    And goes without saying, correct ppe.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good words mate, if I knew last month....
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would use those metal diamond wheels for alloy , my mate rips into me if I dress a piece[small] aluminium on the 8" grinder..
    He says the wheel will explode. I have taken that advice on board. I have 4",5" and 9" grinders
    The 5" I use with the cutting disc on and the 4" has a flap disc. mainly for cost. very rarely use the 9".
    Years ago on a Job site a mate was told to grind a piece of steel that was freshly oxy cut. After cooling it he knelt on it and used the 9' with no guard
    needless to say it grabbed and cut very deep across the top of his knee, no blood could see the bone he cut through. and he never returned to work
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    From my understanding and from what I've been told, when ally is cut and heats up it can clog the normal cutting discs (mild steel) which can cause them the catch on what your cutting and then shatter. I've been told if you rub plenty of surfboard wax on the discs it will help prevent clogging but you have to keep the disc waxed up. I've been told cutting discs for Ally are not for the faint hearted either and it's probably best to use a saw............

Not my opinion but just passing on what I've been told by someone in the know.
    yes clunk you are correct the aluminium will clog a standard cutting grinding disc by way of melting and getting caught inbetween and boom can occur one of the first things I was told in the hire industry the way to get around this is with a green disc specific for ally.kev
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We cut allot of tube and use a drop saw with a blade with a high tooth count. 80teeth. Works a treat.

Most shop fitters doing partition work will use a drop saw for their cutting on site. ( well did back in my day, been offsite for a long time though)

For cutting sheet like checker plate I would have no hesitation pulling out my 9" Makita power saw with a fine tooth blade. The trick though is to set the blade depth to only a little more than the cutting depth required so the face of the tooth is hitting the stock at a broad angle as far from 90d as possible. A 90d cut will cause some deformation in the sheet as the tooth is smashed through.

I have used my 6-1/2 Makita 18v to cut ally a couple of times and also used my scroll saw to cut square slots in a 5mm thick sheet of aluminium switch panel when building my GQ. Worked a treat. Lots of teeth, ally is soft.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th December 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I want to cut ally I go to my mates place and use his old man's milling machine =]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Please explain,
    but a 9" grinder is not a tool for a first time user, geees even turning them on can be a chore.
    I stand on them to start just in case on/off is iffy. Can see why they are banned though.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Please explain,
    but a 9" grinder is not a tool for a first time user, geees even turning them on can be a chore.
    I stand on them to start just in case on/off is iffy. Can see why they are banned though.
    Hi John,

Wha did you need explaining?

When using a 9" angle grinder I am a big fan of being in the standing position with both hands on the machine in the operation grip, elbows in and braced to you body, one foot slightly forward like you are ready for a fight. Good balance, a firm grip and respect for the unit will see the job done safely.

As I See it the problem with standing on the unit is when your trying to the lift the bloody thing into an operating positionwhile it's spinning. Nasty bit of kit.

I remember sitting at the Christmas table about 10 years ago while my then 15 year old nephew told me how he and his mate were doing a heap of work on cars and his mates dad let them use his 9" angle grinder in-supervised and how his mates Dad had removed the guard cause it was in the way! I hit the farking roof at the Christmas table!!

He is my nephew by marriage and my wife is the youngest of 4 girls and this young fella did not have a dad so no male figure. I am that guy now. My sister inlaw's all just looked at me. No idea. Needless to say he never used the grinder again. His friends Dad should be bloody shot!! D1ckhead! Right there!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th December 2013 at 02:33 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

NP99 (8th December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nah trying to figure out how a milling machine can cut alloy sheet or alloy.
    Agree with what you're saying, brace yourself
    Need the guard on regardless if it cant cut deep enough.
    You cant take short cuts as you said its a bit of Kit
    Last edited by threedogs; 7th December 2013 at 02:59 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

NP99 (8th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angle grinders are my pet hate in construction as far as getting blokes to do the right thing when they use the things. Use 2 hands all handles and guards attached don't cut above your head, use a visor. We had a kid get a battery 4" kick on him and smacked him in the mouth, not a pretty sight. Plenty of people tell me that battery A/G doesn't kick back I reply bullshit then show them the photo.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (7th December 2013), d.n.blewitt (8th December 2013), Maxhead (7th December 2013), MudRunnerTD (7th December 2013)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast