Thread: overdrive 5th gear

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Peak torque means maximum load and fuel so high temps and high fuel usage. It's geared that way from Nissan for a reason. It's the best spot for it to be efficient while pretty close to its peak outputs. It would stupid to want to drop it any lower than what it's set at, unless shorter diff ratios have been fitted. They are set at that speed (no load speed) for a reason.
    I agree with above purely due to the fact Nissan (and others) poor thousands into finding the best setup for their cars.
    Power, efficiency, pollution.
    Why fark with it..

Bit like changing your thermostat for a lower temp. Your engine is made to run at x degrees.. Made like that for a reason.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon most peeps would consider changing tyre size first , before extreme mods with gearing . ie - taller tyre = reduces revs .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion.
    Tell you what I'll do: I'll run the numbers through the simulation software at work (I work for a car company) and see what spits out. My gut feeling is that .74 is the right number.
    By the way, Nissan would not have spent thousands on finding the best setups, more like millions.
    Love to hear the discussions on EGR blanking, big exhaust, let alone chips etc, because Nissan did it for a reason.....

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    Interesting discussion.
    Tell you what I'll do: I'll run the numbers through the simulation software at work (I work for a car company) and see what spits out. My gut feeling is that .74 is the right number.
    By the way, Nissan would not have spent thousands on finding the best setups, more like millions.
    Love to hear the discussions on EGR blanking, big exhaust, let alone chips etc, because Nissan did it for a reason.....
    Well let me start on the egr plate. Its law to have a working egr, regardless of what its doing to your engine. Bigger exhaust, noise pollution. Chips, the way I see it is when the car is stock from the factory the ecu is tuned to the factory items on the car. Probably even under tuned. For fail safe results. Using a chip you will only see the benefits if you have mods already done like the exhaust. Im sure there is other reasons but none that I can think of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123