Thread: Tyre Pressures and off road vehicles

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tyre Pressures and off road vehicles

Some of Andrew St.Pierre White's off-road training. This time, the effect of tyre pressures on off-road performance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greetings all powerful and imperious Admin... You spotted the discussions we were having over in the Auto Tranny thread eh...

First I freely admit that I used to drop my pressures way down when off road and it wasn't until a few years back that I changed on the advice of a Comp driver when I asked him what to run in my newly purchsed Pro Comp Xterrains... his answer blew me away as they were MUCH higher than I thought.

Currently I run Coopers and I use the pressures recommended by the Manuf which incidentally are close to what I used in the Pro Comps

Cooper Tyres pressure recommendations (and indeed I have found them to be pretty good for my Cooper Disocverer's are MINIMUM (go higher for loaded truck)
    Gravel - 32 PSI
    Rough Gravel - 26 PSI
    Rocks - 22 PSI
    Mud - 22 PSI
    Sand - 18 PSI

My truck is very heavy with the gear I carry and I actually run higher by about 2 to 4 PSI except on the Beach Sand around SWWA which is like Custard so I drop to 16 to 18. Get onto the hard packed southern beaches of the Southern Ocean and you can stay higher

Different people will have different views which is totally cool... I was advised that higher pressures have the advantages of
    1 protecting the side walls... in LT tyres the tyre stands upright and puts the tread between the case and sharp objects
    2 less chance of spinning the tyre on the rim
    3 less chance of crap in the beads
    4 less chance of popping a bead
    5 less chance of internal tyre failure... the ply's are not "working" against each other as the tyre distorts laterally

BUT... the bottom line is 'The right presure is the one that works for you'. I just used the Manufacturer's recommendations as a starting point and found them to be excellent 'cept for the local sand conditions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You spotted the discussions we were having over in the Auto Tranny thread eh...
    - Yes, you caught me ET.

BUT... the bottom line is 'The right presure is the one that works for you'. I just used the Manufacturer's recommendations as a starting point and found them to be excellent 'cept for the local sand conditions
    - Exactly right, whatever works for you mate, I've also been known to drop mine down ridiculously low and almost ripped off the rims up at Fraser Island and Simpson in certain spots, just depends on what works for you and the situation.

I love the part in this video where the second guy is demonstrating by lowering the PSI to hug the log and get over and he almost didn't make it. it actually worked 10 times better with a higher PSI..haha.

He then mentioned he had no idea why it was happening...They should have cut that bit out I think.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    He had to be in 2wd for that to happen. Oops! Is this guy a recognised 4x4 guru? He should sack his video editor.
    No guru that I know, just a 4wd trainer not associated with this site at all.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G/day ET I agree with your advice. I do a lot off road in the sand also & tend to do most if it at between 18 to 25psi I have gone down to 10psi but only over a very short distance but as you already mentioned it really depends on the circumstances.

Cheers
    Paul

ilikedonuts_10
    Would these change for BFG all terrains? I was talking to a guy who said they didn't have as strong tyre walls so they might be different?

ta

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have said b4, we did simpson desert in HG Holden and did not go real low on pressures and made it all the way through without tyre damage, and only being towed over two or three dunes.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get highway pressure, I use this rule of thumb (used for years not sure where I came across it).
    Check pressure cold (car full loaded)
    Check pressure after an hour of the driving on the highway. If the PSI is greater than 4 psi the tyre is over inflated, less than 4 psi the tyre is under inflated.
    I wouldn't just deflate/inflate (unless they are excessive) to the same amount as the pressure / temp are intrinsically related. I just ensure that I keep it in mind and adjust it the next time the tyres are cold

Cheers

TOOR
    Last edited by Ruby; 2nd April 2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    To get highway pressure, I use this rule of thumb (used for years not sure where I came across it).
    Check pressure cold (car full loaded)
    Check pressure after an hour of the driving on the highway. If the PSI is greater than 4 psi the tyre is over inflated, less than 4 psi the tyre is under inflated.
    I wouldn't just deflate/inflate (unless they are excessive) to the same amount as the pressure / temp are intrinsically related. I just ensure that I keep it in mind and adjust it the next time the tyres are cold

Cheers

TOOR
    Other way around isn't it?

If the pressure changes by more than 4 PSI then the tyre was initially under inflated and is generating to much heat and is in risk of a case failure ?

Thats why you have to slow down with tyres aired down... to keep the temps down
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Ruby (3rd April 2011)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Other way around isn't it?

If the pressure changes by more than 4 PSI then the tyre was initially under inflated and is generating to much heat and is in risk of a case failure ?

Thats why you have to slow down with tyres aired down... to keep the temps down
    I think ET is right.

The 4psi rule has been mentioned on here before and although I have never tried it I think it is a good rule of thumb.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast