User Tag List

Thread: Help understanding Viper 5904V Car Alarm harnesses

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help understanding Viper 5904V Car Alarm harnesses

Hi guys, I recently had to put all my work tools in the back of the patrol and as a result wanted to install a decent alarm in it. I ended up with the Viper 5904 which is a 2 way system meaning if the sensors are triggered it will page my keys up to 1 mile away (Line of sight) and also has remote start.

Here is a PDF link to the model I have http://pdf.ampire.de/viper/N5904_2011-09b_web.pdf

Anyway I unboxed the thing and immediately broke into a cold sweat never having seen so many god damn wires in such a small box in my life.
    After I un knotted my knickers I read the instructions (if you can call them that) and wasn't left too much more in the clear so I was wondering if someone could help me decipher these wiring harnesses (as in what does Ignition 1 input mean etc) and if possible point me in the direction of where that wire may be on my TB42S LWB 91 model.

I have installed aftermarket central locking to all doors including rear door myself so I assume the door lock harness is pretty simple (Green- Green and Blue - Blue). I will be removing the central locking harness and module obviously once this is installed.

Here's the wiring harnesses (My H2 harness varies slightly in pinout positions and numbers to the online pdf but the wire colours are the same eg. my (-) Neutral Safety/Parking brake input is H2/13 Black/White instead of H2/2 Black/White)

Wiring Connections

Main Harness (H1), 6-pin connector

H1/1 RED (+)12VDC CONSTANT INPUT
    H1/2 BLACK (-) CHASSIS GROUND
    H1/3 BROWN (+) SIREN OUTPUT
    H1/4 WHITE/BROWN PARKING LIGHT ISOLATION WIRE - PIN 87a of onboard relay Is this meant to be the parking lamp relay if so being that the GQ runs full load current through the selector switch does this mean I goto the parker lamp common? what is the equivalent of 87a on my switch?
    H1/5 WHITE PARKING LIGHT OUTPUT
    H1/6 ORANGE (-) 500mA GROUND WHEN ARMED OUTPUT What's this mean?

H2 Harness, 24-pin connector

H2/1 PINK/WHITE (-) 200mA IGNITION/FLEX RELAY CONTROL OUTPUT Is this Ignition common? What is a flex relay?
    H2/2 BLACK/WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY INPUT This goes to park brake switch I believe
    H2/3 BLUE/WHITE (-) 200mA 2ND STATUS /REAR DEFOGGER OUTPUT Is this the output of the rear defog relay
    H2/4 GREEN/BLACK (-) 200mA OEM ALARM DISARM OUTPUT I don't require this
    H2/5 RED/WHITE (-) 200mA TRUNK RELEASE OUTPUT I don't require this
    H2/6 GREEN (-) DOOR TRIGGER INPUT (N/C* OR N/O) Is this the door switches and if it is are they considered NC or NO, I would think NC because that's when they are in there natural position
    H2/7 BLACK/YELLOW (-) 200mA DOME LIGHT SUPERVISION OUTPUT I don't require this
    H2/8 BROWN/BLACK (-) 200mA HORN HONK OUTPUT I don't require this
    H2/9 DARK BLUE (-) 200mA STATUS OUTPUT Unsure what this is
    H2/10 PINK (-) 200mA IGNITION 1 OUTPUT Does this mean Key switch position 1 output?
    H2/11 WHITE/BLACK (-) 200mA AUX 3 OUTPUT These are for optional accessories eg. sun roof open/close etc
    H2/12 VIOLET (+) DOOR TRIGGER INPUT
    H2/13 WHITE/VIOLET (-) 200mA AUX 1 OUTPUT These are for optional accessories eg. sun roof open/close etc
    H2/14 VIOLET/BLACK (-) 200mA AUX 2 OUTPUTThese are for optional accessories eg. sun roof open/close etc
    H2/15 ORANGE/BLACK (-) 200mA AUX 4 OUTPUTThese are for optional accessories eg. sun roof open/close etc
    H2/16 BROWN (+) BRAKE SHUTDOWN INPUT Could I just pick this up on the brake lamp switch?
    H2/17 GREY (-) HOOD PIN INPUT (N/C OR N/O) This is for a bonnet switch to disable alarm to avoid remote start while working on engine
    H2/18 VIOLET/YELLOW (-) 200mA STARTER OUTPUT Is this the negative of starter motor? I believe the module senses the starter current and VD on battery to sense when to stop cranking
    H2/19 BLUE (-) TRUNK PIN/ INSTANT TRIGGER INPUT (N/C OR N/O) Unsure what this is
    H2/20 GREY/BLACK (-) DIESEL WAIT TO START INPUT I don't require this
    H2/21 WHITE/BLUE (-) REMOTE START/ TURBO TIMER ACTIVATION INPUT Unsure what this is
    H2/22 ORANGE (-) 200mA ACCESSORY OUTPUT Accessory key position output?
    H2/23 VIOLET/WHITE TACHOMETER INPUT Can I pick this up from the instrument cluster?
    H2/24 GREEN/WHITE (-) 200mA OEM ALARM ARM OUTPUT I don't require this

*The Normally Closed setting will only work if one of the vehicle's doors is connected. If more than one door
    is to be monitored, then it is recommended to use the Xpresskit DTIMAZDA or tech tip # 1921 on www.directechs.com to interface with these types of vehicles.

Remote Start, (H3) 10-pin connector This is the one I'm having the most trouble with, What's a flex relay? and ignition 1 input etc. what does that mean?

H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT
    H3/2 RED/WHITE (87) FLEX RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
    H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT
    H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL)
    H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL)
    H3/6 RED IGNITION 1 +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
    H3/7 PINK/WHITE (30) FLEX RELAY OUTPUT (car side of ign, acc or starter wire)
    H3/8 PINK/BLACK (87a) FLEX RELAY INPUT (key side of ign, acc or starter wire if needed)
    H3/9 RED/BLACK ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)
    H3/10 NC No Connection

Door Lock, 3-pin connector

1 BLUE (-) 500mA UNLOCK OUTPUT To Blue of my door lock solenoids?
    2 EMPTY NOT USED
    3 GREEN (-) 500mA LOCK OUTPUTTo Green of my door lock solenoids?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this. I'm sure once I get going it'll come together, I'm not entirely unfamiliar with auto elec stuff but some of the terminology is throwing me off I think.
    1990 Ford Maverick, 4.2 Carby, 2" SL, 2" BL, Dual Batts, 33" Maxxis Big Horns

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck.....hahaha

A flex relay just means the relay can be switch on positively or negatively...... ie with patrols we switch positive to the spot light relay, 85 terminal is normally earthed and we switch power on and off via terminal 86.

You can also switch a relay on by suppling a constant power to terminal 86 and switch earth via an external switch to terminal 85.

Are there external relays mounted in the wire harness for the alarm system?

Do you have a wiring diagram for Viper?

Is your vehicle a manual? if so and you are planing on connecting the remote start you will need to mount some type of safety switch that prevents the vehicle from being started in gear.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

AB (28th November 2013), Irvs (28th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Yendor, was hoping you would have some insight on this.

The wiring harnesses have no relays mounted in them. I believe the flex relays are internal of the viper alarm module, there is one in the H3 harness and one in the H2 harness. The only wiring diagram that comes with it is as shown on that PDF link I put up.

I do have a manual and the viper is capable of remote starting this, it basically won't allow remote start to work unless a certain shut down procedure was done at last use. This involves pressing the brake and pulling up the hand brake in a certain order as I understand it at this stage. There is also a disable switch to completely disable remote start to be mounted somewhere discretely.

I think I've sussed out the remote start wires I believe it goes.

H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT To output wire 1 of ignition 'on' position which from looking at the wiring diagram is white/black (pin 3) on ignition connector
    H3/2 RED/WHITE (87) FLEX RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) To output wire 2 of ignition 'on' position if available ~ there doesn't seem to be a second ignition wire according to wiring diagram
    H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT This is apparently to turn on A/C or heater
    H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL) this is the starter wire off the ignition switch. Cut and wire this to the car side of wire. Wiring diagram indicates it's (pin 5) on Ignition connector
    H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE OF THE STARTER KILL)This is the other side of the starter wire just mentioned aka Key side of wire
    H3/6 RED IGNITION 1 +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) Goes to Ignition 1 as well, same as H3/1
    H3/7 PINK/WHITE (30) FLEX RELAY OUTPUT (car side of ign, acc or starter wire) Apparently Goes to Ignition 2, same as H3/2
    H3/8 PINK/BLACK (87a) FLEX RELAY INPUT (key side of ign, acc or starter wire if needed)Apparently goes to same as H3/5
    H3/9 RED/BLACK ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) This needs to go to a hot wire when the starter motor is cranking, not just the starter position on the ignition barrel as I understand it
    H3/10 NC No Connection

I'm pretty determined to get it working, I'm off work with a back injury so I've got all the time in the world provided my back allows it.

Also I think I can pick up the tacho signal off the hot side of my coil. Is that right even if I have a pertronix system installed?
    Last edited by Irvs; 28th November 2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: more questions

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Irvs For This Useful Post:

croptop (29th March 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That looks correct. I'm just not sure if you need to connect H3/2, H3/7 and H3/8 because Patrol don't have the second ignition circuit.

Tacho signal is from the negative side of the coil.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Irvs (29th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you see the chat s car about 2 weeks ago had
    remote start and it mounter the kerb and into a resteraunt
    yes he pressed the remote start and away it went
    insurance wont cover the costs
    a hard lesson for somewone who wants a wank factor
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your patrol have a light switch on the rear doors? If it doesn't you are relying on the knock sensor to trigger the alarm, most of the functions aren't really needed on a gq.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No there is no light switch on the rear doors, I plan on buying the glass break, tilt and radar sensors and hooking them up as well. The reason I want remote start is so I can remote kill it also. I doubt I will ever use remote start, I really don't see a use for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 350 plus unit and didn't use all the extra features as I thought it was just another thing to fail when remote.
    I did have the siren go off the other day whilst driving, had to pull fuse to get it to stop, think the battery backup in the siren faulty. Also the knock sensor in mine is very sensitive so you might not need a remote one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I suppose there is always a risk of it stuffing up when your out on the tracks and that's why I want to install it myself so I know where to pull apart if it's really stuffed so I can get it back home. As for the other sensors, I want the tilt one so no prick tries to steal my tyres as it remembers the horizontal axis you were last on and the radar one seems like a good idea to me because of the GQ rear sliding windows which I'm sure are quite easy to break into.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do u still need help for this??