OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Running a high draining 240 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter from the battery/alternator

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Running a high draining 240 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter from the battery/alternator

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the method they used to install their 240Volt Inverter into their Patrol.

I have a 1000W/2000WPeak Pure Sinewave inverter, but still need to install it.

I want to locate the inverter at the back of the vehicle, but the further the 12 Volt cable goes, the thicker the Positive Terminal Needs to be... or so I have read.

1. What gauge cable should I use?

2. Do I need a bigger alternator?

3. Can I use the chassis as Earth for power supply.

Thanks
    My Patrol is My Vehicle of Choice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming a good efficiency of about 90%, it will take about 90amps at 1000W and 180amps at 2000W peak. From this website http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm it appears that AWG 2 would be the minimum gauge required. Over a 5m length, it will drop about 0.25v from the battery at 1000W, so nothing to worry about. Use a very good chassis earth (and check the battery is very well earthed) rather than a return cable, so you don't drop another 0.25v.
    1981 Nissan Patrol MQ SWB, 3.3TD, West Melbourne.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boggy2006 For This Useful Post:

JungleJim (7th August 2011), mackayboi (21st January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man, 2 KW, that is one BIG Inverter for a reccy truck... wotcha running of it?

Anyway...

1. As above... altho I would allow even more as I doubt it would be 90% efficient possibly closer to 80-85

2. Hell, Yes. That sort of load will flatten an N70 in about 20 minutes and kill it stone dead in about 30

3. Yes, but there is no way I would. If you get any sort of earth problem on the vehicle the result could be spectacular. IMHO run a seperate earth cable to be on the safe side
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mackayboi (22nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the speedy responses. I have to wonder if I should just get a little generator... A HONDA 2000Watts sounds the way for camping.
    I have come to the realization that the amount of strain on the alternator / battery is crazy, and I really don't want to fork out cash for a new alternator or battery. (Even though the rather large alternator and 4x4 battery are considered truck electrics)

Furthermore the idea of having silent power is not real as I still need to have the engine running (thus making noise and using fuel)
    I would also need a whole dual battery kit to make it half safe to use... (to avoid flattening the starting battery)

As for the inverter... I think I will resell the thing.
    Anyone looking for a NEW Pure Sinewave 1000/2000Watt peak inverter? 12volt to 240 volt Australian standard?
    My Patrol is My Vehicle of Choice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate
    God inverter got security for voltage limit. Mine is PSI - german from origin - stops when battery goes down below 9V.
    And this is enough to start the engine. Thus You don't need to worry about flattering Your acu even when Your engine sleeps.

I have 12000 LBS winch in the back so got thick cable anyway. My inverter is under the roof over rear doors. So as You plan. two sockets are original and two sockets goes to front panel.

Than You might both charge Your notebook and use drilling machine
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to starck For This Useful Post:

mackayboi (23rd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Mackayboi,

What were you looking to run off the inverter mate? if you dont already have the dual battery setup you should start there i reckon for sure.

Can you PM me the details of the inverter? any pics you have? what warranty it comes with and how much your looking for if you offload it. I may be interested for the camper trailer.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting reading, i'm about to plunge into the inverter market and decided to check out what you guys are thinking, my original plan was to install a 900w - 1200w inverter in my car to power an air compressor vital to my business, but after reading this thread it has become clear i have to do more research! My train of thought was I could install a new inverter for business work day to day, then use it to power lighting, fridges e.t.c. during bush camping. My rig already has a dual battrey set up and I thought I had nothing else to do but go buy one and hook it up to the fridge socket in the back! Aparently not, any forthcoming advice on this subject would be more than appreciated.....................this is the only forum!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently installed a 300W inverter. Its a small one (pure sine) simply to charge phones, laptops, kids DVD player etc. But I feel safe knowing its not drawing huge load. Whatever your needs are. I run 30A cable with 10A fuses aft of the auxilliary battery in a dual battery system I installed myelf awhile back.

The inverter is hard wired into the battery system and earthed to the vehicle. So far so good!