Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My soundproofing job on doors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My soundproofing job on doors.

Well I must admit it was a painful boring job. But the results are so unreal. My subs and speakers come alive. Driving down the road the world is outside of your car.

The product I used, http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/0310/ecow_100310.htm

An industrial product used on commercial building sites.

The foam is designed to handle moisture, I've left 10mm between the bottom of the sheets to the door 3kg's a front door rear doors a lot less. I sprayed the inside of the doors with contact adhesive to seal the surface as well. Used a neoprene sealant that will with hand up 80c comfortably.
    Last edited by sil3nt_dr3ams; 25th November 2013 at 02:52 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is that stuff is for the "inside" of buildings where it is dry, You know that when it rains or you wash your car, it is normal that water travels into the door cavity, the foam will absorb and hold water dirt etc.

BTW, you will also get a much better result, if you dynamat over the huge holes on the "inner" door skin
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate the only problem here is that all the Technical PDF's for this product and the Ten year world wide warranty disagree with your "opinion" The foam has been pacifically designed not to absorb but to reply water and why I left a 10mm cap between the foam and the normal drains.

The polyether foam used in the manufacture of Soundlag products is non-
    fibrous, will withstand the effects of moisture (hydrolysis resistant),

Applications

Hydraulic and waste pipes in all locations
    Air-conditioning ducting and shrouds
    Compressor wraps
    Spa motor wraps

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thread I mentioned in the pm.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...d.php?p=439470

We have found the doing mass dynomat is a waste as you'll see in some of the vids about it, so what you have done there is probably nearly 100%.

Do you plan on doing more than just the doors??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probally just the floor to firewall in the front don't forget my patrol is setup different. Its done wonders for the audio side.

And back to the comment about water flowing thru your doors with all that sand. If you take the time to look at the inside of the door you can see how the water is channeled it runs around the edges. The doors them self feel different structurally they close with a nice thud.

All this happened because I had to fix one of the winders so i said right why I am in there might as do this one door. Went for a drive loved it so much I kept going on them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sil3nt_dr3ams For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (25th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey at the end of the I've been toying with the idea for a few weeks in terms of getting to know the product and it ticks every box except the one where it says may be used on cars. It just made hell of lot more sense to myself to create the sound barrier starting behind door skin itself. I will also be changing the thermal transfer. Same way when you sheet a tin roof you lay insulation with a foil back under the sheet. Be nice if we could have a way of testing but a test that everyone can do so we can get some kind of data not just out there opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sil3nt_dr3ams For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (25th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the plan for the wall. Going to try that stuff or opt for something thinner??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt_dr3ams View Post
    Mate the only problem here is that all the Technical PDF's for this product and the Ten year world wide warranty disagree with your "opinion" The foam has been pacifically designed not to absorb but to reply water and why I left a 10mm cap between the foam and the normal drains.

Not sure what info you have, but the tech sheet suggests its just everyday "acoustic foam" sprayed with fire retardent to meet the building code ?

"loaded polymer adhered to acoustic foam with an outer layer of reinforced aluminium foil"

http://www.ecowiseinsulation.com.au/...20Brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    We have found the doing mass dynomat is a waste as you'll see in some of the vids about it, so what you have done there is probably nearly 100%.
    Dynamat on both the inner skin, and the inside of the outer skin will drastically improve your speaker/sound system acoustics, without getting right into it, its basically turns the door into a sealed enclosure, and makes the speaker enclosure behave more like its made from a dense material (such as wood)

You can test it yourself, (as i have done) do both skins of "one" door only, then fit the exact same speaker in each opposing door, run a mono signal (so both speaker get the same signal), you will hear a decent improvement in low end responce (its well worth doing)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you completely cover the outer skin? When I do my speakers I will go to the effort because I've seen what a difference it makes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Dynamat on both the inner skin, and the inside of the outer skin will drastically improve your speaker/sound system acoustics, without getting right into it, its basically turns the door into a sealed enclosure, and makes the speaker enclosure behave more like its made from a dense material (such as wood)

You can test it yourself, (as i have done) do both skins of "one" door only, then fit the exact same speaker in each opposing door, run a mono signal (so both speaker get the same signal), you will hear a decent improvement in low end responce (its well worth doing)
    If thats what your going for outta the project then yes, for sure that's the way to go.
    But we're trying to achieve sound dampening and reducing outcome its well documented that you only need to cover 25% of the panel you want to apply it to.
    Dynamat dampens the panels vibrations not actually reduce the noise itself..
    The application or 100% coverage of areas with dynamat has come about from the auto industry, but has been proven that Its not needed to achieve sound dampening..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast