Thread: 2" vs 3"

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekster View Post
    Spoke to the man at the 4wd shop today and confirmed it is not long enough to use, has informed me its within legalities here to have it removed, and with the rear off gives more travel, whereas having the front on or off won't change the travel, it also handles quite well hardly any body roll at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    Trust me Eric the Patrol fundamentally has No Issue achieving decent travel out of the rear. In fact this is probably its biggest problem! We as a group dream of a front end that will flex and why don't they ??? Because the back flexes So well that the front does not need to and therefore does not! But if you Discourage Rear Flex the front actually has to do something.

You will have very limited flex on the front if you have a front sway bar, removing the front and fitting it to the rear is a far better option. Ol' mate who fitted this is living in the past my friend, his logic is floored and incorrect.

Given the coin you saved on this setup I would encourage you to buy a pair of extended sway bar links for less than $100 and swap it out. It will be a great improvement.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I note also that I did not require adjustable panards on my 3" lift on the GUIV. What did you end up doing about caster correction mate? Swap arms with him?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I note also that I did not require adjustable panards on my 3" lift on the GUIV. What did you end up doing about caster correction mate? Swap arms with him?
    Swapped arms, and the adjustable panhard bars are sitting in my garage as they don't fit mine due to series 1 being different to his series 2/3

Cheers,
    Eric.
    1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trekster For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th December 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone got any experience with Ironman suspension? Ive been told that ironman pro 2" shocks have 3" of lift if I use the 2" springs with a spacer. Is this right?
    I want a 3 inch lift but have a mate who's father is a rep and can supply me a set of 2" springs/shocks for $750. I want a 3" lift but have only around $1000 to spend. I already have castor correction bushes and coil spacers from the (stuffed) tough-dog set up that was in my GU when I bought it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered extendable rear swaybar links the other night, suits 2-8" of lift lol.

Cheers,
    Eric.
    1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to trekster For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th December 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% agree. this is how my GUIV is setup and it is great! Soo Good in fact i am chasing a GU rear sway bar for the GQ.
    so does the gu sway bar fit straight in ?...why GU ?..are they stronger or bigger or something ?...cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by menace 2 View Post
    so does the gu sway bar fit straight in ?...why GU ?..are they stronger or bigger or something ?...cheers
    Yes the GU sway bar will go in. I have GU diffs under the GQ anyway so happy days.

The GQ and early GU rear sway bars are the same size rod, I think its about 18mm. The later models run a much thicker sway bar, maybe 22 or 23mm providing even more rear restriction. Get the front flexing!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the GU sway bar will go in. I have GU diffs under the GQ anyway so happy days.

The GQ and early GU rear sway bars are the same size rod, I think its about 18mm. The later models run a much thicker sway bar, maybe 22 or 23mm providing even more rear restriction. Get the front flexing!!
    Daz,
    What are your thoughts on the sway bar disconnects like you can buy from Superior et al. ? I have been thinking of removing the front sway bar for a while but want to remain roadworthy so the disconnects seem like a good compromise.....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Daz,
    What are your thoughts on the sway bar disconnects like you can buy from Superior et al. ? I have been thinking of removing the front sway bar for a while but want to remain roadworthy so the disconnects seem like a good compromise.....
    yeah they are a great idea. i have them on the front of the GQ but if you play in the mud they can be a right biatch to re-engage. Mongrel. i have teh superior ones and the tolerance is ridiculously small that its nuts. I gave up and no longer use them, just drive around without the pin now. Granted though the GQ is parked 99% of the time and only goes bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only put the GU sway bars on because I was carrying heavy loads on the roof, otherwise I would keep the GQ ones, if you haven't got a big lift or lots of weight the GU bars would properly be to stiff.
    I also don't disconnect the bars off road other than the factory disconnect on the rear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast