Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Td42 engine oil

Hey
    Does anyone here run castrol magnatec 15 40 in there td42
    Mine is a silver top with turbo glide setup and had 320000ks it uses abit I oil,
    From what I've ready he castrol would be a good choice?

What's everyone's opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we11fd

I was told, righly or wrongly, that if you change oil in these motors it will use oil, presumably for a while until it settles down, and then after the next change ie 5000kms later it should go back to using no oil. I look forward to hearing what the brains trust on this site have to say on this!
    Anyhow since I bought my 89 GQ TD42 in 1990 and shortly afterwards fitted a Denco turbo full kit I have used the same oil ie Myrina L 15 W 40 which has now been changed to Rimula R3 15 W 40. This is by no means an expensive oil and we originally bought it on farm in 200lt drums and shared it between a couple of us. Now I get the R3 in 20lt drums and still do oil changes every 5000km.

The motor uses no oil.

I reckon, based on just 25yrs yrs experience with this motor "come in spinner" could be said to apply to the the need to buy expensive, you beaut oil to tip out every 5000km (along with two oil filters)

Cheers
    Chimo

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    we11fd

I was told, righly or wrongly, that if you change oil in these motors it will use oil, presumably for a while until it settles down, and then after the next change ie 5000kms later it should go back to using no oil. I look forward to hearing what the brains trust on this site have to say on this!
    Anyhow since I bought my 89 GQ TD42 in 1990 and shortly afterwards fitted a Denco turbo full kit I have used the same oil ie Myrina L 15 W 40 which has now been changed to Rimula R3 15 W 40. This is by no means an expensive oil and we originally bought it on farm in 200lt drums and shared it between a couple of us. Now I get the R3 in 20lt drums and still do oil changes every 5000km.

The motor uses no oil.

I reckon, based on just 25yrs yrs experience with this motor "come in spinner" could be said to apply to the the need to buy expensive, you beaut oil to tip out every 5000km (along with two oil filters)

Cheers
    Chimo

I have never heard about an engine using oil when different brand oils are used?? I cant really imagine why this would be accurate either to be honest.

I agree 100% though about using an expensive oil. Use a good quality oil for sure but it should not be based on price. Especially given you are dumping it every 5000kms! I use Caltex GTX and i buy it in 20lt drums from Supercrap when they have their 20% sales. I commute in the GUIV and therefore do allot of Freeway kms so have stretched my service intervals to 10,000kms but do oil and filters then.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (22nd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 with Mr.
    If your engine is using oil, it will chew oil. Some thicker oils will slow the loss, but not prevent it..
    If your doing highway k's and the engine is hardly working then a 10thou oil change is fine.
    But if it's your play car the it should have fresh oil at 5thou..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only went with the castrol because of its cf rating, not because of the price, is being cf rated important? I have read td42s are designed for this type of oil, and new ratings I oil have high detergent levels.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.shell.com.au/products-ser...a-r3-plus.html

Just had a look and it seems R4 is what I should have moved to after Myrina L !!!
    Last edited by Chimo; 22nd November 2013 at 07:30 PM.