Thread: My DIY drawers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My DIY drawers

Here's my drawers. The frame is out of qubelok aluminium and the rest is 16mm mdf. It took 3 weekends to build working both days for around 5-6 hours so about 30-35hrs all up. Total cost was probably around $500-$600. Some advice for anyone thinking of doing their own, plan everything well. I spent about a week and a half just planning drawing sketches and counting up fixings etc. Don't buy anything from bunnings except maybe carpet and kwik grip, they are extremely expensive compared to wholesalers. I got the ally from carpal where it was $18 for 6.5m at bunnings it was $18 for 3m. I got all my fixings from united fasteners and it cost a total of $38. I am lucky enough to work for a company that has an account so got about 70% off most stuff there but would still be cheaper than bunnings if I paid full price. If you can get a mate who has an account at a place similar and you can save a fair bit. I stupidly didn't get enough t-nuts and had to get more from bunnings cos it was Sunday. Cost me $30 for 20 t-nuts and bolts to suit. Considering I bought about 200 different fixings from united fasteners for $38 bunnings really are pretty pricey for some stuff.
    For the slides I just used bearings and some box section. Got the bearings from a wholesaler too for $1 each. I used nutserts to fix everything to the ally. Didn't want to use tek screws cos I reckon they'd end up stripping cos the ally is fairly soft.
    I did a 12v panel as well. Just tapped in to the cable that goes to the Anderson plug on the back for a trailer and ran the cable through a grommet located at the rear left under the tail lights which gets you into the panel on the inside left of the boot. Put a fuse holder in and got a volt meter some switches and a couple of cig outlets of eBay and mounted them on some 3mm mdf. Also put in some led's that were a freebie from work. Flick em on in the dark and it's like daylight in the back.
    When I started I was most concerned about the carpeting but it was actually pretty easy once I found the best way for doing the corners. I used kwik grip after reading that it's the best way to go. I used the spray for inside the drawers but only cos I ran out of the other stuff and had a can already. Will see how it holds up seems ok but not as strong as the stuff out of the tin.
    All in all I'm pretty happy with them. They look real neat and are strong as. The only thing that perhaps isn't perfect is the drawers are just a tad small but only a tad. Can still fit plenty in them.
    Comments and questions welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eddo83 For This Useful Post:

Avo (18th November 2013), Bigcol (18th November 2013), Clunk (18th November 2013), HuskyInAuz (5th March 2014), juzzs8 (26th November 2019), lucus30 (2nd March 2014), my third 256 (17th February 2014), SonOf (1st March 2014), UCAGQ2 (20th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very very neat mate, I'll be building mine in the next few weeks, what is your total height?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Very very neat mate, I'll be building mine in the next few weeks, what is your total height?
    Cheers mate they're 250mm high i made them so the sit flush with the bottom of the side pockets. The drawers end up being 150mm deep when you take into account the frame and thickness of the timber. I also left a gap at the back thinking that i might get some sort of water storage to fit in there, this makes the drawers 650mm deep. Decided not to cover the right hand side in either think it would have rendered the space a bit useless this way i can still stuff pillows sleeping bags etc. in there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a good spot for your camp chair =]
    Love the look of the T handle locks, I'll be using those in mine.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    It's a good spot for your camp chair =]
    Love the look of the T handle locks, I'll be using those in mine.
    It would fit there quite nicely! I looked at a few options for the handles and these seemed the strongest and they dont rattle. I got them of ebay for $42 for the two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How strong is that Qubelok Aluminium stuff? Does it come in varying sizes?
    I need to make some modification to my drawer and fridge slide setup and am wondering if that stuff will do the job.......

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    How strong is that Qubelok Aluminium stuff? Does it come in varying sizes?
    I need to make some modification to my drawer and fridge slide setup and am wondering if that stuff will do the job.......
    Its pretty strong stuff. The website says a 500mm span will hold 100kg. It comes in 6.5m lengths and is 25.4mmx25.4mm, you just cut to whatever length you need. Has loads of different connectors so you can make almost anything that is a cube in shape as the name suggests. Check out this link for all the details http://www.aluminiumtc.com.au/downlo...elok-flyer.pdf

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddo83 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (18th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very neat job, well done.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I like this build, Very neat!

What is the technical name for the locks? I've been looking for something along those lines for mine but don't know what to search for online.

Cheers,
    Eric.
    1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekster View Post
    Hey mate, I like this build, Very neat!

What is the technical name for the locks? I've been looking for something along those lines for mine but don't know what to search for online.

Cheers,
    Eric.
    They're called t handle locks i got them off ebay here's the link
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Foldi...a589d54&_uhb=1
    If you want to search for them look for "t handle locks" in car and truck parts
    2006 guIV zd30, bar, winch, 2" lift, rear bar, roof racks with cage, mickey thompson mtz, chip, custom drawers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddo83 For This Useful Post:

trekster (18th November 2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast