Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan,

If the glow plug and check engine warning lights don't work but the oil one does it's more then likely a problem with the ECU relay.

It's a brown relay mounted above the interior fuse box. Try swapping this relay with another brown relay like the A/C one under the bonnet (beside the battery).

If it is the ignition relay your indicators will also not work when it's playing up. Just something else to try.

Cheers
    Rodney

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

NewDan (29th January 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I only have 3, and the centre one is slightly higher as you say. The left one is IGN, centre one is Blower(heater/AC fan) and right one is accessories. Just swap the IGN and blower relays over to test. The Blower should be the best out of the three coz it gets the least use. When I had the problem and the glowplug and engine light wouldnt come on, If I gave that IGN relay a bit of a tap with my finger they would come on and car would start. That might be another way for you to check first.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYouCRD For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's strange that you only have 3 relays. Are you sure there's not a 4th relay up higher?

Dan I see you have a 2007 model if it's a CRD them the ECM relay will be blue not brown.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction, just went out and checked with a torch and there is a 4th blue relay up higher, top right (fuel pump). Not that this matters.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYouCRD For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYouCRD View Post
    Correction, just went out and checked with a torch and there is a 4th blue relay up higher, top right (fuel pump). Not that this matters.
    You will find that it's the ECU relay not fuel pump relay. Diesels don't have an electric fuel pump.

It matters because it helps Dan diagnose the problem. If it's only the check engine light and glow plug warning lights that are not working it's more then likely the ECU relay. If other warning lights also stop working at the same time it's more then likely the ignition relay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rodney and GeeYouCRD, thanks for the info I'll play around with that over the next few days, these are a tough one because its intermittent so it's hard to know if you fixed the problem or its just not playing up at the time. It has seemed to be worse when the weather is slightly cooler and ok on really hot days, and as Melbourne has a heat wave over the next few days it will be hit and miss. But I will come back and let you know how it went. If it is as you say Rodney and its the one that's a bit higher up it will take a bit of doing because it seems part of the dash will need to come out just to get to it.
    Dan
    #1. 2007 Walkabout, Auto, 2" EFS lift, DP chip, 3" Exhaust, cross country intercooler, front and rear diff locks, manual torque convertor lockup, bulbar, IPF driving light, Dawes valve, Boost, EGT and transmission temp gauge, 80 Channel UHF, Black widow storage system, ARB duel wheel carrier. 215 Litre fuel. #2 GQ 95Ti TB42e.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah if it is the very top one you will need to remove the trim above the pedals (4x bolts & 1 screw). If you still can't get your hand in there to remove the relay you will need to remove the 3 screws that hold the fuse box in place and then carefully lower the fuse box down.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

NewDan (30th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Update*
    Just some feedback on the issue, especially for Rodney who eventually solved the issue.
    About 5am this morning while it was cool I went out to the car and the issue was there. It's now confirmed that the problem is with the ECM relay. It wouldn't start so I pushed my hand up to the relay. When I put pressure on the relay pushing it in while pulling it down towards the floor slightly the glow plugs come on and it starts perfectly, when I release the relay the engine cuts out. I tried this a few time's and same result every time.

I just have to find time to pull the trim apart and and get into Nissan to get a new one. Does anybody know if they are available anywhere other than Nissan ?

Wondering also if maybe not just a faulty relay but could also be the connection of the relay as putting pressure on it seems to do the trick.

Many Thanks to Rodney (Yendor) and the input from GeeYouCRD for solving the problem.

There's a lot of satisfaction in doing the reaserch, asking the questions and coming up with the answer rather than just taking it off to a mechanic.

Dan
    #1. 2007 Walkabout, Auto, 2" EFS lift, DP chip, 3" Exhaust, cross country intercooler, front and rear diff locks, manual torque convertor lockup, bulbar, IPF driving light, Dawes valve, Boost, EGT and transmission temp gauge, 80 Channel UHF, Black widow storage system, ARB duel wheel carrier. 215 Litre fuel. #2 GQ 95Ti TB42e.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewDan For This Useful Post:

boots (1st February 2014), Yendor (2nd February 2014)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDan View Post
    *Update*
    Just some feedback on the issue, especially for Rodney who eventually solved the issue.
    About 5am this morning while it was cool I went out to the car and the issue was there. It's now confirmed that the problem is with the ECM relay. It wouldn't start so I pushed my hand up to the relay. When I put pressure on the relay pushing it in while pulling it down towards the floor slightly the glow plugs come on and it starts perfectly, when I release the relay the engine cuts out. I tried this a few time's and same result every time.

I just have to find time to pull the trim apart and and get into Nissan to get a new one. Does anybody know if they are available anywhere other than Nissan ?

Wondering also if maybe not just a faulty relay but could also be the connection of the relay as putting pressure on it seems to do the trick.

Many Thanks to Rodney (Yendor) and the input from GeeYouCRD for solving the problem.

There's a lot of satisfaction in doing the reaserch, asking the questions and coming up with the answer rather than just taking it off to a mechanic.

Dan
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update. Yes it's possible it could be a connection problem in the relay base. You will need to pull the relay out and inspect the terminals in the base.

Is it a blue relay or a brown relay? The blue relays are a standard pin configuration so most aftermarket relays with the standard pin configuration will fit. GeeYouCRD pick up one from Jaycar.

If it's a brown relay that will need to be genuine.

You are doing a great job sorting out this problem.

Cheers Rodney

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if relay is just getting loose, try to tighten it with a nylon tie if there are holes to insert it into.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast