Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glow Plug issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glow Plug issue

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has had this issue, I had a search of the forum but couldn't find anything related. (Its a 2007 ZD30).
    A couple of times now I jumped in to start it, turned the key but no glow plug light on the dash. Turn the key back and then on 2,3,or 4 times and it comes on, goes through its warm up cycle and then I can start the car as normal. This doesn't happen all the time bit there have been a couple of occasions over the last week.
    Dan
    #1. 2007 Walkabout, Auto, 2" EFS lift, DP chip, 3" Exhaust, cross country intercooler, front and rear diff locks, manual torque convertor lockup, bulbar, IPF driving light, Dawes valve, Boost, EGT and transmission temp gauge, 80 Channel UHF, Black widow storage system, ARB duel wheel carrier. 215 Litre fuel. #2 GQ 95Ti TB42e.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, yea I'm having the same dramas but mine won't even start anymore, joined the forum to try and figure it out, i just read in a recent forum that it may be an ECM relay???
    Ian

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

NewDan (23rd January 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had same issue 18 months ago with my 2007 CRD, first it would stall about 45 seconds after starting, but then later progressed to not starting. Intermittent and only when cold. Turned out to be Ignition relay. Had searched forums and read about ECM relay, however where my patrol manual shows the location of the ECM relay, top left above dashboard fuse panel, I dont have one. Ign relay is the bottom left one. Easy way to test is swap it with the centre one (Blower). I tested my relay out of the car and worked fine, but must have had burnt contacts because it wouldn't work under load. All those blue relays in that spot are the same. Faulty ign relay worked for blower ( Drawing lower amps). I just swapped the two over and been fine since. Just out of interest the base of those relays is the same as any standard relay, I went to jaycar and bought one as a backup (less than $10), tried in car and works fine. Just doesnt have the plastic clip on it to lock in place.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeeYouCRD For This Useful Post:

mudski (25th January 2014), my third 256 (24th January 2014), NewDan (28th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey GeeYouCRD, when you say you swapped the bottom left with the centre one.... do you only have three in there as in mine, ant the centre one you are talking about, is it slightly higher than the other two.
    Dan
    #1. 2007 Walkabout, Auto, 2" EFS lift, DP chip, 3" Exhaust, cross country intercooler, front and rear diff locks, manual torque convertor lockup, bulbar, IPF driving light, Dawes valve, Boost, EGT and transmission temp gauge, 80 Channel UHF, Black widow storage system, ARB duel wheel carrier. 215 Litre fuel. #2 GQ 95Ti TB42e.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im A bit confused how the ECM relay connects to the glow plugs, all Ive got to go by is a Haynes manual, and in the drawing in that there seems to be no connection between the ECM relay and the glow plugs. In the drawing I have they seem to be connected through a relay labelled Glow plug relay No 1. But Im buggered if I can find it on the car.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The glow plug relay is switched on and off by the ECM.

If the ECM relay is faulty the ECM will not power up so it can't switch on and off the glow plugs.

When the glow plug light doesn't come on does the oil light also not come on? any other warning lights not come on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

NewDan (28th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    The glow plug relay is switched on and off by the ECM.

If the ECM relay is faulty the ECM will not power up so it can't switch on and off the glow plugs.

When the glow plug light doesn't come on does the oil light also not come on? any other warning lights not come on.
    No rest for the wicked.....Yendor is your man he wears his underpants on the outside .

(Seriously though he's a top bloke)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    No rest for the wicked.....Yendor is your man he wears his underpants on the outside .

(Seriously though he's a top bloke)
    HAhahahahaha..........Your a clown

I caught up with the big fella yesterday, his new ride is pretty flash.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yendor, Just recently I've found that the Glow Plug light and the "check engine or engine fault light " (what ever its called )
    don't come ON
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast