Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Any stiffer and I would of had concussion haha
    Was it that rigid? It is similar to my last Patrol and I've never known any different but always thought it was pretty stiff.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    What heads knocking together?
    Dirty dirty mind Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Was it that rigid? It is similar to my last Patrol and I've never known any different but always thought it was pretty stiff.
    Nah it was only rough on the faster rocky sections.

Mines got iron man shocks from the previous owner and what seems like pretty rigid springs where as a mate has toughdog springs and Rancho 9 way adjustables usually set on 2nd softest and his is like riding a cloud. (get you mind out of the gutter Gary!)
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Dirty dirty mind Gary!

Nah it was only rough on the faster rocky sections.

Mines got iron man shocks from the previous owner and what seems like pretty rigid springs where as a mate has toughdog springs and Rancho 9 way adjustables usually set on 2nd softest and his is like riding a cloud. (get you mind out of the gutter Gary!)
    You boys need to get a room!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My D22 got fitted with Tough Dog 2" lift all around. So 4 shocks, leaf springs and torsion bars. NO weight in the rear at all, the leafs straightened out, and were on the borderline of a sad face. Got this replaced under warranty no questions asked. Then, torsion bars began making all weird creaky noises under flex, and front of the care started being stiffer and stiffer. Ended up being shocks stuffed and torsion replaced once again under warranty. This was all in a span of about 7k on the odometer.I must admit, great warranty side of things, as the shop I had it fitted at, got in touch with the supplier and supplier sent new bits in , no questions asked.

Anyways, after 4th time going back in, for leaf springs, I said no more. Ripped it all out, slotted factory stuff in, and few weeks later I got OME fitted. It hurt the wallet dearly, but difference between OME , compared to TG, and especially compared to factory crap, was day and night! Then on my 2nd D22, again OME, never had issues.

And more importantly when I got my patrol it was a no brainer. The OME 2" lift, completely transformed the car. I did have to go back in because they slotted in springs for a non winch bar, but that was replaced within minutes and now front is level.
    I haven't yet tried it on extreme side of 4x4, but what I have done on and off-road since getting the gear fitted, I'm very impressed so far.
    Just my 2 and a half cents.
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had OME 2" lift for 12000k's now and works fantastic. I think with any new suspension it is a matter of the correct set up in regards to the load ratings. ARB went through my hole set up to make sure the suspension was selected & set up correctly, I think this the main reason it works so well.
    2012 Patrol. ARB Bull Bar, Rear Bar, Side Rails & Steps, Aluminium Roof Rack, On Board Air Compressor, OME 2" Lift, Diff Breathers, Safari Snorkel and UHF CB Mounted Behind Dash.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hekarewe View Post
    I own 2003 GU and fitted a 50mm lift using all Old man emu parts in 2010 i had heavy duty coils and shocks fitted to the rear as a tow a heavy camper as well. i just did the cape trip this year on that suspension (now being a few months short of 3 years old) they are still as solid as the day they were fitted and they do flex well for what they are so when it comes time to replace them i will be going with OME again.

the only Tuff dogs i have used were big bore foam cells that i put under an old pajero worked well at the time but only lasted about 2 years from memory they were matched up with 8 leaf OME springs to stop the back of the paj sagging the springs lasted but the tuff dogs not so much.

as for 4wd action comparo's,,,,,, when they rate something as good check and see how much advertising the product has had in previous mags and on their DVD's it does influence their ratings
    I'll second that. I used to subscribe, but don't any more as the magazine is now nothing more than a means of advertising for their pet brands.
    Andy

2001 GU DX TD42T Extra Cab Ute.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Andy-s-New-Ute

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cervantes For This Useful Post:

Hodge (26th November 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cervantes View Post
    I'll second that. I used to subscribe, but don't any more as the magazine is now nothing more than a means of advertising for their pet brands.
    Exactly. And their comparo pages are only good for burning in a camp fire. Very heavily $$$ influenced.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting reading, the OME's have a good following and are probably easily available at any ARB store across the country.

My choice of Toughdog's for the Patrol came due to some people we met on the Anne Beadell in 2010, they had done over 300000klm of touring and had worn out a Ultimate Camper.
    They were on their second Ultimate that interestingly had Koni's on it from the manufacturer.
    The tow vehicle as a 100 series that had Ralphs on it, 53mm twin tube with a 22mm shaft. Their opinion was they were the only shock they could get to handle the tasks they put them to.
    The bloke reckoned he had tried and destroyed every other major brand and the TD's were the only one that has lasted.

Figured my loading of the Patrol would be similar to his, a decision I have not regretted in the 3 years of owning my Ute.
    Like has been said it was loaded and weighed I got king springs to suit as well.
    Last edited by macca; 26th November 2013 at 08:04 PM.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Dobinson springs and Koni shocks. As previously said, Make sure you pass on all relevant information to the supplier with regards to loads. That way it gives you the best chance of doing the job once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast