Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OME or Tough Dog?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not tried toughdog suspension, currently using a 2nd hand set of OMEs. They're a bit hard but no doubt I don't have enough weight in the car for to spring rate.
    Have used toughdog rtc steering damper and quite liked it until I managed to bend it. Now using their adjustable jobbie...... Jury is still out on that one though but I do like being able to stiffen up the steering for road use.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I said my view was subjective, an opinion and clearly stated it as such.
    Do you prefer a Patrol to a Landcruiser? Have you owned both to be able to make a completely objective decision?

In the post you actually quoted I was expressing a view that if the ride was harsh it was possible it was a spring rate issue not shocks.
    No-where did I express an opinion about the feel or ride of Tough Dog suspension

I run OME 2 inch lift in my GQ and reckon its fantastic. Never used anything but OME though.My personal opinion is the OME is a cut above Tough Dog but that's just my subjective opinion
    Big woop I quoted the wrong post.

I had a 75 series as a daily and weekend pig. Granted I didnt actually own it. But drove it daily for a considerable time.
    There are 2 main reasons I bought a patrol.
    1. Toyotas dont bring out a factory coil ute.
    2. The team DGR patrol. Which a few key mods on mine are based on, In order to take it very far from standard. But, when I first bought it I made sure I knew how it felt to drive, I knew how it reacted. I spent time figuring out its short comings ( and still do), and basically what I didnt like too much so I could form a good opinion on it, and improve on standard

The land cruser has a better low range gearing, in stock form the 1hz makes more power, the cab is bigger and better in a cruiser, in the coil front cruiser ( which I would drive around the quarry regularly) the front end feel nicer than my patrol in every form it has been in, and the DOHC factory turbo motor is nice and smooth

The patrols have a better driveline, which is common knowledge, the 75 went through 8 diffs and gearbox.

You clearly state in post 6 that that In your opinion ( although subjective but you still put the point forward) that OME are a cut above tough dog and my point is how do you know that.

I'm not perfect.... Some of the advice and opinions I have given out over the years on this forum are probably not the best.

But. They have some substance to them.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

lhurley (25th November 2013), Winnie (26th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own 2003 GU and fitted a 50mm lift using all Old man emu parts in 2010 i had heavy duty coils and shocks fitted to the rear as a tow a heavy camper as well. i just did the cape trip this year on that suspension (now being a few months short of 3 years old) they are still as solid as the day they were fitted and they do flex well for what they are so when it comes time to replace them i will be going with OME again.

the only Tuff dogs i have used were big bore foam cells that i put under an old pajero worked well at the time but only lasted about 2 years from memory they were matched up with 8 leaf OME springs to stop the back of the paj sagging the springs lasted but the tuff dogs not so much.

as for 4wd action comparo's,,,,,, when they rate something as good check and see how much advertising the product has had in previous mags and on their DVD's it does influence their ratings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hekarewe For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (26th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Big woop I quoted the wrong post.

I had a 75 series as a daily and weekend pig. Granted I didnt actually own it. But drove it daily for a considerable time.
    There are 2 main reasons I bought a patrol.
    1. Toyotas dont bring out a factory coil ute.
    2. The team DGR patrol. Which a few key mods on mine are based on, In order to take it very far from standard. But, when I first bought it I made sure I knew how it felt to drive, I knew how it reacted. I spent time figuring out its short comings ( and still do), and basically what I didnt like too much so I could form a good opinion on it, and improve on standard

The land cruser has a better low range gearing, in stock form the 1hz makes more power, the cab is bigger and better in a cruiser, in the coil front cruiser ( which I would drive around the quarry regularly) the front end feel nicer than my patrol in every form it has been in, and the DOHC factory turbo motor is nice and smooth

The patrols have a better driveline, which is common knowledge, the 75 went through 8 diffs and gearbox.

You clearly state in post 6 that that In your opinion ( although subjective but you still put the point forward) that OME are a cut above tough dog and my point is how do you know that.

I'm not perfect.... Some of the advice and opinions I have given out over the years on this forum are probably not the best.

But. They have some substance to them.
    Good on you! That was a probably a bad example given you work in the mining industry. So you have never had an opinion or subjective belief that hasnt been fully tested by yourself?
    Have I caused some offence? I'm not understanding the reason for your annoyance here.......

Opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

I declared my view as as a subjective opinion. End of story.
    As it happens, my belief is from having 2 people I know who have run Tough Dog setups in their vehicles. The first a Series 1 Discovery that was well set up and played pretty hard killed a set of Tough Dog shocks after 3 years. Has since had OME and reckons for an out of the box set up it is miles in front.

The second is a work colleague of mine who has an NP Pajero and 2 years ago when he did the Simpson, he suffered from fade in his shocks (Toughdog Foam Cell) and has since replaced them with OME.

As they weren't Patrols, I didnt think that information was pertinent for you all in informing my SUBJECTIVE opinion however clearly I was wrong and will include what I had for breakfast next time!

Life is too short for this sort of rubbish.
    Enjoy.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hekarewe View Post
    I own 2003 GU and fitted a 50mm lift using all Old man emu parts in 2010 i had heavy duty coils and shocks fitted to the rear as a tow a heavy camper as well. i just did the cape trip this year on that suspension (now being a few months short of 3 years old) they are still as solid as the day they were fitted and they do flex well for what they are so when it comes time to replace them i will be going with OME again.

the only Tuff dogs i have used were big bore foam cells that i put under an old pajero worked well at the time but only lasted about 2 years from memory they were matched up with 8 leaf OME springs to stop the back of the paj sagging the springs lasted but the tuff dogs not so much.

as for 4wd action comparo's,,,,,, when they rate something as good check and see how much advertising the product has had in previous mags and on their DVD's it does influence their ratings
    Not just 4wd action......caution on anyone's test results!!!
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (26th November 2013), macca (26th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the original OME shocks to have a vast improvement over the standard equipment and lasted over 200k kms . I replaced them with the new sports and found that they "felt" hasher than the original. I then changed to fox and found the improvement in ride to be remarkable compared to OME. Im now in the process of changing to ICON and these are better again. I have found that the better the suspension setup you have the more wear and tare, damage you do as you are able to drive rough roads at higher speeds. Corrugations just don't exist!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or jumps..... bahahaha

My suspension is pretty stiff. It's OME but that's all I know, it was in the car when I bought it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Or jumps..... bahahaha

My suspension is pretty stiff. It's OME but that's all I know, it was in the car when I bought it.
    What ?????? He he
    For what your using your car for OME is perfect especially touring, I'm putting my old OME in the ute.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Or jumps..... bahahaha

Any stiffer and I would of had concussion haha
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Life is too short for this sort of rubbish.
    Enjoy.
    I find this a little contradictory. Anything like these discussions your always putting your 2c in (which everyone is welcome too) then someone opposes it and do exactly as previously posted in this thread. You seem to be the first person to whinge about someone as soon as they aren't around. Id like to know what was said about us northerners after we left.

As for the original post, I have had both and used both in all situations. Tough dog is ok but I won't be buying it again especially with what you can get on the market theses days (amarda, fox, king, etc) at reasonable prices. Tough dog is over priced and over rated. Old Man emu however equals very good value for money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast