Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OME or Tough Dog?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OME or Tough Dog?

Am wanting to put a 2 inch lift on my 2011 st patrol, ive had ome suspension before and cant complain on their performance at all. But tough dog shock absorbers rated the best in last years 4wd magazine and they were up against the nitrocharger sports from ome! Bit hesitant on changing, but toughdog seems worthy enough and I believe they are a bit cheaper aswell. Anyone else happy with toughdog suspension?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used them, and they may have changed in the last 10 years, but a couple of the guys that ran them back then didn't get the expected lifespan and were a bit disappointed.

Never heard problems with the OME's on any large scale, but I haven't run them for years either. My sets were OK when I had them.

I have run Koni's for the last 15 years ...... good too.....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Dougy (11th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with the Tough Dog Ralph on the front and Big Bore adjustable on the rear. Expensive at $550 a pair but they worked and didn't let me down.
    Recently really tested them on some long rough tracks for 3450klms over 25 days.
    They didn't feel as if they were fading at any time.
    The left front got to 75degC on a really bad bit and worked fine at that temperature, they normally were about 50degC.
    I used an infrared thermometer and regularly checked the suspension and bearings with it.
    A mate had 3 OME shocks fail but I feel they were too short for his suspension and got torn into two pieces.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there.

I have 3inch Tough Dog shocks and coils in my ute and I don't have any complaints as of yet. Went to Land Cruiser Park just recently and they went quite well.

Regards Lachy.
    06 TD 4.2 coil cab, 3 inch lift, front ARB air locker.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LachDiggityDog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2" ome and I'm very happy. Will most likely buy them again. Superior engenieering do a 2" armada kit for just over a grand that I think would be pretty good too
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run OME 2 inch lift in my GQ and reckon its fantastic. Never used anything but OME though.
    My personal opinion is the OME is a cut above Tough Dog but that's just my subjective opinion.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Dougy (11th November 2013), Thirsty (14th November 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2" tough dog foam cells, with dobinson coils and tough dog rtc damper, I've got mates that can't believe the difference in ride between there Gu/GQ's, theres being harsh even on the bitumen and mine being more rounded and tame on the bitumen and yet still able to deal with the rough stuff... I'll never go back to OME.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roddee01 View Post
    I have 2" tough dog foam cells, with dobinson coils and tough dog rtc damper, I've got mates that can't believe the difference in ride between there Gu/GQ's, theres being harsh even on the bitumen and mine being more rounded and tame on the bitumen and yet still able to deal with the rough stuff... I'll never go back to OME.
    Sounds more to do with poor spring rate choice than shocks.
    My OME is as smooth as a gravy sandwich on the hwy and exactly the same (with amazing control) in the really rough stuff. The thing I like about OME is I don't have to adjust the shocks myself. The OME valving is excellent.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (25th November 2013), Hodge (25th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Sounds more to do with poor spring rate choice than shocks.
    My OME is as smooth as a gravy sandwich on the hwy and exactly the same (with amazing control) in the really rough stuff. The thing I like about OME is I don't have to adjust the shocks myself. The OME valving is excellent.
    You havnt driven on anything else. How can you say something is a cut above something else that you have never tested yourself.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    You havnt driven on anything else. How can you say something is a cut above something else that you have never tested yourself.
    I said my view was subjective, an opinion and clearly stated it as such.
    Do you prefer a Patrol to a Landcruiser? Have you owned both to be able to make a completely objective decision?

In the post you actually quoted I was expressing a view that if the ride was harsh it was possible it was a spring rate issue not shocks.
    No-where did I express an opinion about the feel or ride of Tough Dog suspension.
    Last edited by Drewboyaus; 25th November 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast