Thread: GU Christmas Tree

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Christmas Tree

Hey all,

I'm am sick and tired of being flashed, tooted and hurled abuse at by angry drivers that have not seen me indicate or brake because they were looking at my enormous tail lights that just sat there and did NOTHING! I can not believe that Mr Nissan thought it a good idea to put lovely big tail lights on the back of there crown and glory (the GU Patrol!) just to tease us and make them non functioning! Other countries around the world get fully functioning lights, but us Australians get nothing but a reflector.

As such, I chose to do something about it. I found a set of aftermarket lights on fleabay that were copies of the series 3 tail lights (I have the ugly series 1/2 lights) that were already wired up and had globes fitted! Exactly what I was looking for. I then wired them up, using the original plugs. Now I have fully operational tail lights that look fantastic...if only the rest of the car looked so good!

I was amazed at just how easy it was to wire the lights up. The job could be done in a couple of hours easy by anyone with basic soldering skills. Tools required: 10mm socket and ratchet with medium extension. Large flat blade screwdriver, small flat blade screwdriver, wire cutters and stripper, solder and soldering iron, heat shrink and/or electrical tape. I will post a step by step of how to do the conversion to help anyone wanting to do the same.

Shayne

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

biggusmob (25th August 2012), Col.T (20th January 2011), frenzy (20th March 2011), LaughingBeagles (20th May 2015), LJD Sydney (1st October 2012), Oddie1969 (7th July 2013), Plasnart (19th January 2011), Woof (19th January 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry there were no pics in my first post, all my pic's were too large. I have downloaded shrink pic software and hope it works this time. SO...I will start with a picture of the new lights, before install, front and back. If this works I will continue with the guide!

shayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2011), biggusmob (25th August 2012), Dark 1 (22nd January 2011), DX grunt (20th January 2011), Plasnart (20th January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWSOME...It worked! Wow, great programe...runs in the background and automatically resizes any photo emailed, uploaded etc. no need to fiddle AND it only changes the copy being sent so you still have the original, unchanged! Very impressed....ANYWAY, on with the guide.

Upon checking my pics, I noticed I have no photo of removing the old lights. It is really easy and can be done in 2min using only the 10mm socket and the large flat screwdriver. I am doing my mates car (possibly) this weekend so I will take some pics then and add them if anyone wants them!

1/ Remove panels behind lights inside cargo area (small narrow one on left and large one on right were
    jack is stowed).

2/ Undo both the top and bottom screws with the 10mm socket (on the left there is 3 screws, leave the
    middle one alone!)

3/ There are two ball clips securing the outside edges of the lights to the body, so...take your large
    flat blade screwdriver and (while protecting your paint work with a rag) insert it in the groove
    between the outside, top lip of the old driving light and gently lift. You will fell a clip slip
    out, tha'ts good. Repeat the process on the outside, bottom lip also, remembering to support the
    light now as it should now easily fall out into your hand!

4/ Undo the plug at the back of the light and remove....THAT'S IT!

Shayne
    Last edited by im2xtreem; 20th January 2011 at 10:10 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

GUte (20th January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, the job is REALLY HARD on the left hand side...plug the new light in! THAT'S IT!! all the wiring and the plug is already there and ready to go. lol BEFORE doing that thou, you first need to break into the loom to run wires to the right side light. On the right side there is a plug and it is pre-wired with the brake and indicator lights only and these don't work either as there is no earth. So what we need to do is run 2 wires from the left over to the right to power the park light and the reverse light. We also need to make an earth.
    So, step one...break into the loom to run wires to the right side light. I broke in under the black conduit so the joints were covered and protected. You can JUST see the wires and a tag of tape comming out at the top of the first picture.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I then ran the wires under the bottom of the trim and under the rear plastic strip to the right hand side.
    Last edited by im2xtreem; 20th January 2011 at 01:14 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (23rd December 2013), the evil twin (20th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two things...

1. In all fairness to Nissan it isn't there decision. The issue is forced upon them by our "unique" ADR's. Nissan have to disable/remove the 'standard' lights OR move the spare tyre so the vehicle will pass ADR.

2. You now have a vehicle that can be Canary'd as there are ADR non-complying lights fitted BUT before everyone goes ape, Yes, it would be a very unusual and I've heard of more instances of Coppers wanting to know why the "lights" don't work rather than why they do...

I went a different way and put LED repeaters on my roof rack. Looks slightly like a "Mine Pack" but works for me mainly because I have rear draws so if a globe did go in the body tail lights then it is a major drama which will definitely attract Constable Plods attention.

I tow my Camper a lot as well so the repeaters are a bit of a plus in that regard as well.

Finally, I do quite like the look of a fully lit up rear on the Patrols... just a crying shame about the goddam ADR's
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now for the hard part! The right side needed a bit more work. FIRSTLY, you need to source some inserts to go into the original plug. I tried several places (auto parts, auto electricians, jaycar) but finally found them a car stereo place. They didn't have new ones but "GAVE" me a plug that had the same size/shape pins(see photo) in it with wires still attached. So I simply opened the crimped end of the pin, cut the attached wire of level with the end of the pin and soldered my wire over the top of the remaining crimped wire. Then crimped the end over my wire...EASY! I did this to both the wires run from the left side and to a black wire I then used as an earth.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

AJTich (20th June 2015), CUROUND (6th September 2012), Patrol-Guy (23rd December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i did this to my 2007 gu6
    went to nissans wanted $320.oo each complained and they said they can get after market ones made at the same factory
    but if ordered today wont be here untill 4.30 tomorrow cost $145 each no brainer
    drivers side plug and play
    passanger side took off from trailer plug
    reverse ran wire from drivers side under carpet
    looks reelcool at night
    stephen
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you have your wires run and your pins soldered, you need to remove the black insert from the back of the plug and slot your wires through it and then simply slot them into the plug (in the right spots!). re-insert the black insert and your ALMOST done. Lastly, you need to mount your earth point. I chose one of the bolts that secure the jack mount. I must admit at this point, in the absence of the right sized crimp terminal, I did a dodgy job and simply stripped a longer length of wire and wrapped it around the bolt and then screwed it back in. Dodgy, it is...work, it does!
    Plug in the new light and mount it...JOB DONE! Put on the shades, stand back and bask in the glow of your new tail lights.

I know what you mean about the price from Nissan Stephen...CRAZY! I got mine for $190 a pair (I bought two for both me and my mate) and $20p/h. I was very happy with the price and even happier with the quality.
    Plasnart, Thanks mate. I'm glad you liked it. I just hope it helps make the job that little bit easier for anyone else wanting to do it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to im2xtreem For This Useful Post:

AB (21st January 2011), Bigcol (19th February 2011), Chad (29th November 2012), TRILLIS (10th December 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great post and pics mate, thanks for sharing. That will help out a lot of members who want to do this!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast